First time pork loin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tag0401

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 5, 2018
Elgin SC
Good morning friends. I am gonna make an attemp today to smoke one of those 1.5 pound Smithfield pork loins. Any tips are appreciated as I usually grill this. I am thinking I need to set my MES to around 225 then sear it on the grill and then smoke until done. Thoughts?

At 1 1/2 lbs., it sounds to me like a tenderloin. If you sear it on the grill, then smoke it, it will probably be close to being done by the time you get a good sear on it. I would just grill it or smoke it.
You can smoke it at 225, but pull it out of the smoker at about 138-140 IT.
Then after a 15-20 minute rest on the counter, it will get up to around 145.
If you cook it anymore than that, it will dry out.
Al

At 1 1/2 lbs., it sounds to me like a tenderloin. If you sear it on the grill, then smoke it, it will probably be close to being done by the time you get a good sear on it. I would just grill it or smoke it.
You can smoke it at 225, but pull it out of the smoker at about 138-140 IT.
Then after a 15-20 minute rest on the counter, it will get up to around 145.
If you cook it anymore than that, it will dry out.
Al
You learn something new everyday. I always assumed it was the same thing just cut smaller:cool:. I may just stick to grilling it and get a loin to put in the smoker another time.

I smoke pork tloins often. I smoke at 225 for about 90 minutes give or take. I do prefer mine to be more in the 150 range when done. I haven't tried searing after words but wouldn't hurt to try it.

Reactions: tag0401
I did a tenderloin this past weekend. My go to method is to precook some bacon. Rub the tender loin with your favorite rub. Wrap the tenderloin in the bacon and sprinkle with some more rub. Cook indirect on my Kettle at 225 until it reaches 140ish. The trick is to know when the bacon is cooked enough and still flexible enough to wrap around the tenderloin. The family loves it.

Chris

I smoke pork tenderloins at 225 to an IT of 135, then sear on the grill to an IT of 140-145. I am of the opinion (right or wrong) that smoke then sear gives it a more smokey flavor than the other way around.

T0401, I slice them open and stuff goodies into them ,then roll, tie and smoke at 225 or so for about 2.5 hours Yummy!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky