First Time Pastrami From A Packer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If I dont have an injector, could I just brine the brisket in the liquid and let is rest in that for 7-10 days? Any changed to the brine? I dont know if there is any difference for injected stuff, and I've never used much Tenderquick.

Thanks!

I do inject my butts for Buckboard Bacon and Capicolla and that's about it.

I just done a Pastramie with TQ and didn't inject it, cured it in 4 days.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...threadid=83591

Every one has their own method and I respect that, and hope yours turns out great.

Good luck.

Looking great John, so glad you decided to give this a try.
One little hint I have found, when applying the final rub if you are adding black pepper or coriander try toasting them first, adds such a great underlying flavor that compliments the smokey cured goodness.

I'm sure the point will be fine sitting in the fridge for a few days, really looking forward to when you get to smoke the pastrami and ends and seeing how much you love them.

If you don't have an injector you could always do a wet brine or a dry cure but you have to be careful how big the cut is since the cure won't be working from the inside out as well as the outside in.

Here is the corned beef recipe from Morton's site
http://www.mortonsalt.com/recipes/Re...il.aspx?RID=43

But you will need TQ or some other curing agent to ensure to naughty bacteria begins to grow during the 5-10 day cure time.

Looks great Rivet, I'll be looking forward to the finished product.

For what it's worth, I like a maple/hickory smoke with my strami.

You know, maple is all over the place here, supposed to be one of the more popular woods in my area and as hard as I have tried I have yet to find anyone who has maple
mad.gif

Think I'll just say to hell with it and cut down a tree on the property, may have to wait a year but at least I'll have a bunch of maple
icon_smile.gif

Hey you all, thanks a million for all the good words and support for my "great experiment". This seemed like a huge challenge at the beginning yet it's turning out to be smooth running.

I'd like to especially thank you all who make pastrami all the time and post those delicious results for all the rest of us to drool over!
biggrin.gif
I looked over your threads and gained a lot of insight...thanks for sharing.

Herky, I think Ronp answered that best, so I'll leave that be. I'm the novice here and he will give you the right info you need.

Thanks Dan; got a lot of oak, some pecan, can get some apple, and have a nice load of Alder from an exhange with DesertLites that I never have used yet. I wanted something mild, and ALX recommended alder for the smoke, so that's my plan. No maple but can get pecan if I need to no worries. What is pastrami "normally" smoked over? I have no clue! Just know I like it, and also would like to use what I've got. I'd appreciate any more info you can share, since I'm thinkin' this is gonna be a first of many pastrami's
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif

Fire, if you can do that I'd say do it. Pick a good one, away from anything it can damage coming down and split it well and take care of it under cover during the seasoning. You'll have one heck of a lot of wood, but well tended you can sell some for those who burn fireplaces or woodstoves.

So here we are on Thursday, day 5 of my "great experiment" in making my first -ever- pastrami.

With regard to HOUNDS 51 thread and ERAIN's reply, here's a pic of the printing on the bags from my VacuSave with the Tilia name printed. These bags are from a bunch of rolls my in-laws gave us along with the sealer.

The flat has taken on a richer deeper mahogany color in the past 5 days. Very nice looking. I am really looking forward to this smoke! Been turning it everyday, sometimes twice. Same with the point I didn't get to smoke last weekend. Only 2 more days to go!

The point is looking very good in my house-rub. I think that it's gonna become some mighty fine burnt ends! Got several sauces I want to try during the "slathering-portion" of their smoke~ I'll decide then...

Shared my house-rub with a co-worker who made some ribs (again) this weekend in his BGE. They rubbed them with it and thought that by far they had been the best they'd had so far. Was it his cooking or my rub? Who knows........ but it's nice to know!

Anyway, at this point, thanks for checking out the running thread and waiting on Saturday!
PDT_Armataz_01_25.gif

Last edited:
Looks great Rivet! Can't wait for the final pics. You are gonna love the pastrami...In fact, I think we need to call this one the ...

Rivastrami!!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Well you guys have done it again. After getting my new membership to Reasturant depot I picked up a 13lb brisket and started a corned beef this past weekend for the wife who's in germany and took the last of the pastrami so I thought it would be nice to do her a new pastrami for her return. I started it as always trimming the brisket and then use tender quick (for the first time) and injected it with the same mixture of soices that you had John it wasn't much differant then the one I usually use so. Then into the food saver bag and into the refrig for the week sorry for no Qview but the wife took it to germany. She with the grand kids so she and they won out for the camera. So you keep us going and I'll keep mine going and we will meet in the middle with some bread, mustard, and some cheese. Till then later
Mark

I gotta tell you John I'm almost as excited about this as you are.
Not only the pastrami adventure but burnt ends as well, you couldn't ask for a more delicious smoke than that!

Guess I really need to start curing my packer, she has been sitting in the fridge for 3 days now waiting to get some loving injection and a nice massage...

Man, you are great for saying that, but let's wait until we see if it tastes good... That is so cool, tho....in the pantheon with the "DudeStrami" and I haven't even cooked it!

Great idea to make her a fresh pastrami for her return, Mark. She's gonna love for it. No worries on using TQ for the first time, from what I've learned, we have had some expert advice here on the SMF, so we cain't be doin' all that bad, bud~ Hang in there...let me break brush for ya!

And defintely the moo-stard. Wow, the choices...my first is going to be FiU's habanero mustard he sent with thick sliced swiss....oh yeah good stuff

Buddy, you gots to get going~ You are one of the several instigators of all this pastrami-mania (pastramania?) and we appreciate it, too! get going on that puppy and make something fantastic like you usually do so we can drool and copy and wish for
tongue.gif

I know that only 5 days into mine I am already planning my next, and its gonna include some sort of spice, like chipotles. So....let it rip, bud and post pics!

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude. Looking sweet. I have a prediction. The Rivastrami will become world famous very soon. This is a great thread. Glad to see the updates. Keep 'em coming.

Was going to get it going tonight but considering I need to trim, inject, rub and seal and it is now almost 1am here I'm just gonna hit the hay.
Better believe chipotle is going into this one, I love pastrami but I love chipotle pastrami even more, it's like the meat just wants that sweet smoky sexy spice added to it.
Tomorrow/today (Friday) I will get her going.

This afternoon had to stop by the store to pick up some more ground coriander for tomorrow's rub. While I was there, got some Jewish Rye bread and sliced Swiss cheese.....looking forward to the sammies tomorrow already!

Made the rub for the pastrami tomorrow out of 9 spices, including ground coriander, cardamom, sweet paprika and CBP. Smells outstanding, and should do well during the smoke-

Tomorrow morning will rinse and do the pan test before rubbing the 'strami. If all is okay, rub that puppy then fire up the SnP for liftoff.

Once we settle in to proper temp, the meat goes on and the play-by-play begins....stay tuned!

Last edited:
Nice looking rub John, that sweet paprika and I'm guessing some brown sugar? gives it a nice color.
Never added cardamom but depending on your final taste results I might give it a try.
If you (or anyone else out there) use a good amount of coriander like I do I can get a great deal on one of those big spice containers. Wait...

Had to snap a pic
PDT_Armataz_01_01.gif

One of these for only $2.30

I'm definatly with you on the exicited part too. I have the rye bread and swiss just awaiting the lovely wife. But I don't thinl I will smoke in the morning I think I gonna wait maybe a few more days. I want to see how yours comes out I don't know if my heart could take 3 of theses things yours, rons, and then mine own. You have the RIVASTRAMI and we theres a DUDESTRAMI now going for the..........

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky