First spare ribs.... worried.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

i-like-to-eat

Original poster
Sep 29, 2018
Bought a Grilla Silverbac a month ago and have LOVED IT. Today's project is two 3-lb racks of spare ribs.

I'm following the instructions available here:

I removed the silver skin, applied a thin coat of mustard and applied a dry rub to both sides.

Placed in Silverbac for 3 hours at 245 degrees, spraying with a mix of apple juice, apple cider, pineapple juice and olive oil every 45 mins.

I just pulled them out after 3 hours to wrap in foil and I don't have a "crust" or "bark" on the outside, it just seems like soggy dry rub. Should I be worried about that?

I wouldn't be worried. But have you put a temp prob in the smoker to make sure the ones from the manufacture are spot on?

Way to much spritzing in my opinion to form a bark. They'll be safe to eat but more of a Chinese take out rib in texture.

Chris

I use a combo of apple juice & brown sugar for spritzing the ribs.
I don't wrap them & they get a nice crust on them.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky