First smoke!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chdolfnz

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Lancaster, PA
Well, I finally got to my first smoke today! After getting my Old Smokey ES put together and seasoned, I was ready to go. Then it rained for 3 straight days!!! What a bummer(we actually needed the rain, so I guess it was not to bad!). This morning I fired up the smoker and put 3 fattys on. I learned from the forum to put more than 1 on!!! I'm glad I did...after 2 1/2 hours at 225...WOW..they were great!! My family scarfed them up..the kids loved them! I did 1 reg., 1 sage with a rub, and a reg. with mozz. cheese inside. I am officially hooked and have baby back ribs waiting to go tomorrow! I'm not sure how to post pics(not very computer savy), but maybe my wife can help! (The fattys didn't last long enough to get any pictures anyway..LOL...) Take care everyone!

Sounds like you had a positive experience on that smoke. BTW, I haven't heard anyone use the phrase "scarfed them up" in many a year. It was all the rage when I was in H.S. Looking forward to your Q Views!

Good job chdolfnz!

Fatties don't last long. Sometimes you can't even get through the door before their grabbed up and gone! I've leard to keep them hidden and make 4 or 5 at a time when anyones here. Enjoy!

congrats on a successful first smoke ,glad things went well for ya
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
...I luv fattys
icon_mrgreen.gif

Welcome to the SMF the best BBQ site on the net glad to have you
icon_exclaim.gif

Fatty's are great to stager on a long smoke too. Snacks to Scarf up
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif
while you smoke.

Well, I actually saved about 1/2 of the sage fatty, chopped it up this morning and made a fatty and mozz. omlet while the rest of the family was sleeping!!! Should I feel guilty....NAHHHH!
PDT_Armataz_01_01.gif

Cheech,

My cousin here near Shelby (Rothbury) has a meat market (Mac's Meats) & he does a breakfast sausage better than a JD. he has only a 20% fat content Breakfast sausage that makes a killer FATTY. When you come up for the Silver Lake KCBS cook off you should grab a few pounds to check it out. It is on the old highway (Oceana Dr.) between Rothbury & New Era.

Cheech -

If it the JD clone on the net it's not it. It's good but not a JD!

The one I've been making since I was a kid is closer. At least the sage one. I haven't come close to the hot ones yet. Yummy!

Cheech,

My cousin here near Shelby (Rothbury) has a meat market (Mac's Meats) & he does a breakfast sausage better than a JD. he has only a 20% fat content Breakfast sausage that makes a killer FATTY. When you come up for the Silver Lake KCBS cook off you should grab a few pounds to check it out. It is on the old highway (Oceana Dr.) between Rothbury & New Era.[/quote]

No kidding I had them process a hog for me. They make the best bacon in fact it has inspired me to try my hand at making my own bacon because of them.

We have an office in Montague and when I go to that office I make it a point to stop by to pick some bacon up from them and a bone for the dog

If you friends have ever had a J.C. Potter sausage, you'll throw away that JD stuff. As I type, I'm eating a fatty now. It's great! Have y'all ever heard of them?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky