• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pdbarsallo

Original poster
Nov 2, 2021
Austin, TX, USA
Hey Everyone,

I finally christened my smoker over Memorial Day weekend so I figured I'd share. Despite being nervous to test out my fire management skills on a VERY windy and hot day, I'd say it was an overall success! I was unable to source proper plate dino ribs, but found a 5.5 lb plate of beef chuck ribs that had a good amount of fat/marbling and they certainly did the trick. I kept things as simple as possible in true central Texas fashion.
  • rub was 2 parts black pepper to 1 part kosher salt, no slather
  • no water pans, spritzes, etc. just meat and a (mostly) clean fire, though the elements did pose an interesting yet fun challenge
  • went relatively hot & fast, keeping temps in the 285-300 range, overall cook time was about 6.5 hours
  • pulled when they probed like butter, internal temp in various parts of the rack ranging from 205-210
  • let them rest down to about 160 and then popped them in the oven at its lowest setting for a few hours before slicing
They ended up being super tender with a nice crunchy bark, and all who ate enjoyed the flavor so I'd say it was great first smoke. :emoji_ok_hand: I'm definitely looking forward to more cooks. One thing I would change is getting some kind of tool to cut my splits shorter, currently only have a log splitter for splitting logs vertically as thin as I can get them, any recommendations are much appreciated.

I'm also curious how everyone manages their ash throughout a cook. I have a grate at the bottom of my fire box, which helped a lot, but there was still quite a bit of ash at the end of this relatively short cook so I can't imagine how much there would be after a 16+ hour brisket smoke for example. Any insight is welcome and appreciated. Happy smoking!

Attachments

• before.jpeg
    before.jpeg
    256.5 KB · Views: 16
  • during1.jpg
    during1.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 17
  • during2.jpg
    during2.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 19
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 18
  • sliced.jpg
    sliced.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 19
That's a fine looking rack of brisket on a stick right there. Well done!!

Looks like we're neighbors. I'm just a few minutes NW of Austin. Welcome to the SMF community.

Robert

Reactions: pdbarsallo
Great looking ribs!
I use a 12” chopsaw to cut splits up. You can use a chainsaw, but it’s easier with a chopsaw. Also instead of putting your splits on the bottom of the firebox, I would get a charcoal basket or grate of some kind to get the wood off the bottom. Then you will get more airflow under the fire. Good luck!
Al

Reactions: pdbarsallo
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky