First Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SS Smoke

Original poster
Apr 9, 2018
Doing my first Smoke today, 7.5 lb bone in pork butt. Rubbed last night and kept in fridge for 12 ish hours. Took out this am and preheated my MES30. Figured I would try the chip loader and see how it would go, couldn’t get good Smoke so after about 2 hrs I ditched that idea and put in the Amazen pellet tray, problem solved. I have the Thermoworks Smoke temp probe, and I think I had it too close to the heating element I was averaging 230ish then after most of the day I moved the probe to by the meat and was reading 190! Anyhow after 12 hours or so I pulled it at 165 and foiled, lost only a degree or so, bumped it up to 250 and holy plateau, here I am 14 hours in and looking at 168 internal temp right now, gonna be a long night! Any tips are welcome on this one, anyone else run the same type of setup? Where are you putting your Smoker temp probe? Should I keep it by the meat or centered in the Smoker? When I tested the probe the difference between the probe and the factory temp probe was about 8 degrees. I was leary about keeping the probe by the meat because there isnt that much room on that shelf without it being too close to something and wanted to get the most accurate reading.

I personally try to get my probe in my MES as close to the meat as possible that way I know what temperature my meat is sitting in. If I cant get it on the same rack I'll get it as close as I can, I tend to use the higher racks first then work my way to the bottom if I am smoking more meats. As far as the stall, stick it out the patience will pay off!!

I always try to keep probe as close as possible. So I read somewhere (don’t remember where or when)if u have a big stall to take a meat fork an poke the meat all over. Never tried it. I usually give time for this. Don’t see what it would hurt to do just before foiling. Don’t think good idea if setting on rack because of juice loss. Anybody try this or think I got bad info

I don't think poking the meat full of holes is going to do anything but make it dry out. I could be wrong(wouldn't be the first time). Also I try to keep my probe as close to the meat without messing with the reading - usually about an inch or two away.

Chirs

I always put the probe for the smoker by the meat. I run a second system with one in the meat and the other on the other side of the meat. If I have multiple pieces, I probe meat on each rack and try to have a probe on each rack so I can see the array of temps. I have as many as four on at one time at times.

Awesome guys thanks for the help, made it through the stall and wound up with just over 16 hours on the clock! Turned out great! Will definitely have to raise the temp next time!

Yes, we all learn as we go along. For me, I learned that I like the hot and fast method, my smoker likes to run hot, usually smoking at the 275 degree range. Takes less time to get the meat done and does not affect the outcome.
Just my .02!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky