first smoke on the new Lang 60

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dan, glad to see you had a good cook. Barb and I had a tear in the eye looking at her in a strange yard.
The temp IMO was low for chicken. Might consider 300* to 325*.
I cut a piece out of several flat washers and slide them over the warmer damper control rod which compresses the spring and gives resistance to movement. They fell out. I was considering stuffing a bunch snap rings in there to compress the spring. They won't fall out.
You have a ton of fun cooks on the way....enjoy.

Hey Rag, welcome to the site. This place is the best.
I can imagine watchin her go away was a bit sad. I am glad I got it when I did, instead of just a few days ago. What a storm!

I'll try the split washer thing, thanks!

If that doesn't work, since no welder, is there room to drill a hole in the rod and slide a pin or bolt in the hole to act as a stop for a spring?

Sounds like all you need is a little tension on that rod:-) Thats what the wife always tells me! HAHAHA

The rod has 2 washers welded on and spaced something like an inch apart. A coil spring is located on the rod between them. The problem is that the washers are too far apart. The washers that I cut had too large a piece cut out of them and fell out. A snap ring with a gap smaller than the rod diameter would not fall out. I will take something like 6 or more, so when at the hardware store grab a bunch.
I talked to a local welder about work on the MC to get the same venting in my warmer. I think I'll have two rectangle openings on each side of the warmer floor cut at 2" x 9". Then have a pair of 3/8" plates that can be slid over the openings to control temps. A 4" damper-ed smoke stack out the top. It should work.
The brisket I bought at Detricks butcher shop didn't produce the good pastrami that I hoped for. I posted here under beef with what I did and asked for help. Hey, this is the smoking forum, right?
icon_razz.gif
icon_razz.gif

You mean on the Meadow Creek or on my Lang 60 mods thread?

The pic of the MC is something I stumbles across on the inet. It looks to me that those are either loose cover plates that you slide with tongs or there are holes that we can't see and they rotate. Check this pic out, this works for me on my mods......

WHAT ABOUT ME!!!

You guys just highjacked my thread!
icon_twisted.gif

Hehehe, just kidding, this is some good stuff. You guys with welders and torches are pissin this wood butcher off. I wish I could do the stuff that Steve can do.

Ah yes back in the factory days I could, I just don't have those tools of my own.

Ron, the main damper works great, its the butterfly damper from the firebox to the warmer that needs a lil attention. I think I have a plan. It's not a cool plan, or a really extensive plan, just a hickerbilly plan, and I aint gonna show it, cuz you guys will laugh!
icon_wink.gif

OK carry on with the bridge building, and space station repair!
icon_mrgreen.gif

Oh common, tell us, what's your plan with that damper. I wondered what Rag meant because I didn't see a spring in the pic. You know though, you might be able to add a spring if you roll it over the rod one circle at a time.

Hey, nothing wrong with WOOD butchers, thats pretty much my thing too. In fact. I have been using my Dewalt sawsall to cut all my steel! Its all the same, believe me, If I could use my old Bostich N80S to fasten steel, I would!!!
If you do finish work, then you are a thinker and a planner, you can do anything:-)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky