first post and first smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dballew92

Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
I recieved a smoke hollow smoker (gas) for christmas. I am seasoning it now. Tomorrow will be my first smoke, my wife chose whole chickens and chicken quarters. Does anyone have any tips/recipes for this yard bird. thanks for this forum

thank you I grew up watching my dad smoke pork shoulders on a pit about 3 times a year.

Welcome to the party.
Not familiar with your type of cooker so I can't give you a lot of advise.
For chicken quarters I usually do a raised direct or if you want to cook them low and slow I usually finish them off hot and quick to crisp up the skin. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

If the chickens have not had a salt water solution added, I would brine them, there are plenty of posts on this.

Otherwise you can separate the skin from the meat with a finger and stuff something in that space.

Add some rub or just a little olive oil, butter or both on the skin.

Enjoy!

If you would please stop by Roll Call and say hi and tell us about yourself and we cold give you the proper welcome we like to give to new members. Now to your birds well first I would brine it in tips brine.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...20&postcount=3
Theres the recipe for tips brine. Then smoke it at about 275-295 and then take it to 165 in the breast and then let it rest for about 30 minutes and then serve and enjoy. And the last thing is don't forget the Qview (Pictures here) cause you know

We are The Kids and You Have The Candy

2 4lb birds are underway. It feels like huricane force winds today just my luck. Smoker is steady @ 250. Using apple wood not sure that is the best for yard bird but I thought I would try it. wish me luck my wife invited the inlaws over for my first smoke. If you only knew that i am always striving for perfection when I cook some kind of meat. I dont always achieve it but I am trying. Does apple put off alot of smoke or not. I dont see lots of smoke?

Where is roll call located and I will go introduce myself

Good luck on the birds.
Apple is fine to use on them, I like cherry or hickory on poultry but have used apple and am very happy with it.
If you don't see a lot of smoke but a little and there is wood going then that is what you want, you don't want the smoker pumping out white billows of smoke but apple is also very light so if you felt you need to add a little extra it wouldn't hurt.

Roll Call
http://smokingmeatforums.com/forums/...play.php?f=133

I bet the in-laws will be back after they get a taste of those yard birds.

Try to snap a picture and post when you get around to going through roll call.

(I did not know about roll call either)

do i need to turn the birds over @ some point. Also where is the best place to check the temp

ty They have been cooking for almost 2 hrs. and #1 is 141 and #2 is 138. I have some tru temp probes in them hopefully they are close. It just seems like they are cooking to fast. I was thinking it would take around 4 hrs.

They are done when there done, sometimes they go fast, sometime slow.

Make sure your probes are not touching any bones and are in the middle of the thigh and breast.

I like to spritz them with some liquid when they get to this temp to keep them moist.

If they get done too fast spritz them, wrap them in foil and towels and put in a cooler packed with towels. They will stay warm for a long while.

Or lower the temp on the smoker.

Birds disappeared quickly. Not bad for my first smoke.thanks for the tips

I'll tell you like someone here told me when i first joined the site .
If you can smell the smoke it's smokin. You may not see the TBS especially if it's windy But as long as you can smell it ,All is well.
Welcome to your new addiction

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky