First pork butts of the season

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

highland124

Original poster
Sep 2, 2016
Rochester, NY
Smoking two pork butts today, 6 lb. boneless and 6.5 lb. bone-in. Don't have a ton of experience with these, but have done pork shoulders twice before. I have a Smoke Hollow Pro 44" propane with a mix of hickory and cherry chips. The smoker has two burners and two pull-out drawer type chip trays over each burner. It heats up really well, so I normally run only one burner and one chip tray.

Flare-ups have usually been a problem, so I've been trying to find ways to keep them from happening... without much success. After reading here about covering chip trays in foil with pencil-size holes, I'm trying that today. Unfortunately, just 15 minutes after putting the meat on the chips flared up. They were over the burner, which at the time was on high. I put the smoldering chips on the other side thinking they should keep smoking. Worked for almost an hour, then they seemed to be out. About half of the chips were blackened, others unburned. Switched the trays out again, over the on burner to get them going... then switched again to the off burner side. Really don't want to keep doing that all day... if anyone has suggestions, I'd sure appreciate them!

To get them done in time for dinner I'm doing a little higher temp than before; 270-275. When the chips are going I have a slight, almost imperceptible smoke from the chimney (TBS?)

Update: IT at 3:00 was 171. Foiled at that point and pulled out about 5:15 with IT 205. Put in oven (not on) to rest an hour, then removed for the enjoyment of shredding and sampling. Bone pulled out with no resistance whatsoever. Meat was very moist and tender, coming apart with very little effort. Nice bark and smoke ring too. I found the bone-in one to be slightly more dry than the boneless, but that's just me being more critical of my work. Nobody else noticed, and it was still quite moist and just as tender. Everyone ate em without sauce, which also tells me no one thought it necessary. Dinner of pulled pork sandwiches was a hit with all!

I was prepared for the dreaded stall to hit around 156, but strangely it never did stall. Could it be due to the higher cooking temp? Pictures below, and please feel free to offer any comments or suggestions!
IMG_2138.JPG
IMG_2141.JPG
IMG_2147.JPG
IMG_2149.JPG

Last edited:
Not familiar with your smoker, but it sounds like you need to invest in an amazn tube smoker from Todd. It should solve your problems.

Here's the website.
http://www.amazenproducts.com/

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky