First (intentional) overnighter. Wish me luck!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zwiller

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 16, 2016
Sandusky, OH
Cured turkey

Turkey halved and into Pop's low salt injected and brined for 6 days. Overnight pellicle and fanned an hour prior to smoke. MES set 175F with a AMNPS fully loaded with a new blend I nickname "farmhouse blend". 1/3 each cob, oak, and PM blend. I am also only loading the tray about half thick. Aiming for a little bit of a lighter smoke. Worked well on my recent New Years pork loin. Fingers crossed.

You are off to good start, but you will want to bump that temp to 200°F to reach an IT of 160-165 in a reasonable time. Even with Cure, it is recommended you go to a higher IT than is typical for beef or pork...JJ

Reactions: zwiller
Sounds good Sam.
I like to use my phone as an alarm to remind me.
Happy smoking!

If you've never tried making dust from your pellets, it sure works great.
You could mix, then dissolve and dry.

Good Luck!

Reactions: zwiller
Well... AMNPS went out halfway and IT at 126F (8AM). I checked about 3AM and sniff test seemed OK but probably shoulda cracked it and check with a flash light. Planned to be up much earlier but I think everyone slept in being last day of Christmas vacation. Relit AMNPS from other end and back at it.

WRT to temps. I am following Marianski's smoked turkey recipe (for smoking). His is 3hr dry phase 2-3hrs @ 130F (no need as I did good pellicle), "hot" smoke for 5 hours, and raise to 170F until 165F IT. I was somewhat confused but I can assure from looking it up a dozen plus times his "hot" smoke range is 105-140F. I realize I am in the grey area of the 4hr rule. It is my nature to push things I guess LOL.

Totally making some dust soon Sonny. LOVE the beech I just ran and need some dust to cold smoke some cured loin a la Kassler Ripchen.

Totally making some dust soon Sonny. LOVE the beech I just ran and need some dust to cold smoke some cured loin a la Kassler Ripchen.

Try a cup or two to start. A 1/4 size foil (pan works great for drying.

I'm using dust for anything and everything now. In fact, I started a tray of Pellets with my last Bacon smoking, but the smoke was so thick and acrid I pulled the AMNPS and put out the pellets.
Then restarted with Saw Dust from Pellets. Nice Thin Blue Smoke.
I took the pellets I'd been using, added some more (too many) to my pan, and made a big pan of dissolved pellets.
I wound up with almost a 5 gallon bucket of dust. :emoji_astonished:
Point being, start small. The saw dust seems to grow exponentially as it goes along. Half a pan grew into two pans, then grew into 3 pans, and took ~20 hours to dry out. :emoji_disappointed:

But my "mailbox mod" does the smoken, and my MES does the heatin. I think it is the best combination there is.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky