First Fattie - Bacon Cheeseburger

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

b00kemdano

Original poster
Jan 29, 2013
Huntsville, AL
Hey folks, I made my first fattie tonight, and it was darn good!

I kept it simple for my first one, I doctored up my ground beef like I normally would for burgers, then I rolled it with some cheddar and onions, wrapped it in bacon, and smoked it.  It took 4 hours to smoke this sucker at between 225* and 240*.  As soon as I lit the durn thing, the rain started, then the wind started... I had a hard time keeping a steady temp.

The possibilities with these things are endless, and I can't wait to try some more complicated fatties!

Looks Good!!! Served over rice with some gravy and a sunny side up egg and you'd be going Loco!! Loco Moco that is!!!

Last edited:
Your fatty looks delicious!  Gotta love that oozing cheese!

I know what you mean about the possibilities being endless.  Use hoity-toity ingredients, call it a "smoked roulade", and you could even serve it as a starter or main for a fancy dinner! 

Great job!

yummmmmmmm   
drool.gif

Nice looking fatty!!
Your fatty looks delicious!  Gotta love that oozing cheese!

I know what you mean about the possibilities being endless.  Use hoity-toity ingredients, call it a "smoked roulade", and you could even serve it as a starter or main for a fancy dinner! 

Great job!
You're killin me
roflmao.gif
  You can call me ray, you can call me jay........

I have never made a fatty and I am reluctant to give it a try as it appears to make a lot and there is only my wife and I. Do you serve it like a roast or do you store it, slice it and reheat as needed. Help for a poor Canadian who never heard of a Fatty before coming to the forum would be appreciated.

I have never made a fatty and I am reluctant to give it a try as it appears to make a lot and there is only my wife and I. Do you serve it like a roast or do you store it, slice it and reheat as needed. Help for a poor Canadian who never heard of a Fatty before coming to the forum would be appreciated.
Treat and store is as you would meat loaf, leftovers are a great thing.

Reactions: disco
I reheat a couple slices for breakfast and eat with a couple of eggs.

Reactions: disco
I had 2 lbs of ground beef that had been sitting in the fridge and needed to be used.  With 2 lbs of ground beef, 1 lb of bacon, an onion, and a couple handfulls of cheese, my wife and I had dinner, and about 1/3 of it left for lunch today. 

I'm sure you could make one any size you like!

As usual, everyone has given great advice. I will follow your example and give a fatty a try! Thanks for posting your efforts and expanding my horizons.

What about a thick slice on a toasted bun like a traditional burger! Looks great! Good job. I was thinking of doing this recipe like "pig balls" to. Like bacon cheeseburger bites.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky