First catering event!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thesmokist

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 5, 2014
Lafayette IN
I haven't posted on here in awhile ( 2 much social media) but I thought I'd post cause I'm just kinda kicking it by the smoker doing my biggest cook. I agreed to cater my stepsons reception since they just wanted a bbq style party anyway, I have 7 butts in the smoker but I got a late start and finally got them in at about 11 this morning. I've used this smoker before but, man it works way different when there's 7 butts vs just one or two! I'm also doing dutch's wicked beans but I'll cook those tomorrow. Now that I'm really using this thing I've noticed some design flaws (grates are too low in the cc) that's causing me to have to keep a hotter fire. I really hope this works out cause I've got 80 people to feed!!🤣🍻
20230907_165540.jpg

I'm debating not wrapping these. I've never cooked a butt all the way in a wood fired unit without wrapping. I'm using hickory splits.

I've done wrapped and unwrapped. Wrapping just mainly powers through the stall but doesn't change much else aside from softening the bark. If you have time and don't need to push them along any faster, let them ride unwrapped.

Reactions: thesmokist
I've done wrapped and unwrapped. Wrapping just mainly powers through the stall but doesn't change much else aside from softening the bark. If you have time and don't need to push them along any faster, let them ride unwrapped.
I'm debating, but I'm thinking I may have to wrap so I can knock some time off my cook. They are varying from 150-160 now

If you need to push them along, by all means, wrap. When you have time to mess around, try both ways and see which you prefer. If you're going to wrap, you can always finish in the oven to keep from burning more splits just to keep the heat going. Heat is heat at that point.

I admire folks that cook for receptions, they can be very stressful since everyone wants perfection. That said, cooking for rehearsal dinners, or a bachelor party are a breeze.

I generally use a wrapped step and long hold to make sure the pork is as moist as possible. And enlist at least one person's help in pulling the meat.

With all that is happening here, I would personally wrap in foil at about 160* IT and roll to probe tender then give them a good heated rest.

If you need to push them along, by all means, wrap. When you have time to mess around, try both ways and see which you prefer. If you're going to wrap, you can always finish in the oven to keep from burning more splits just to keep the heat going. Heat is heat at that point.
I just wrapped them, usually when its just one butt or brisket I'll smoke them for 4 hours or so and then finish in the oven overnight. I may end up putting them in the oven if they'll fit. Unfortunately im starting to get kinda frustrated, I'm a paraplegic and I'm out here trying to do this by myself cause my wife isn't feeling well.

Reactions: JLeonard and DougE
Damn, man. I am physically disabled (also spinal), but not to your extent ..... not even close to that and I get frustrated a lot over what I can no longer do. Quite humbling to me for my complaints and frustrations!

A few of these that were on the opposite side of the firebox stalled at about 150⁰ so I switched them around when I wrapped. I think I'll burn this fire down and put them in the oven

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Damn, man. I am physically disabled (also spinal), but not to your extent ..... not even close to that and I get frustrated a lot over what I can no longer do. Quite humbling to me for my complaints and frustrations!
Sorry to hear that man! It sucks but you just gotz to push on!

Reactions: DougE
Sorry to hear that man! It sucks but you just gotz to push on!
I still farm some, and manage to do most of what needs doing, just way slower. Some days I don't feel up to doing much and don't ........ unless it's urgent like cows getting out. Fence gotta be fixed no matter how I happen to feel.

Heck of a task you took on. Hopefully it'll be appreciated. Please let us know how it turns out.

I still farm some, and manage to do most of what needs doing, just way slower. Some days I don't feel up to doing much and don't ........ unless it's urgent like cows getting out. Fence gotta be fixed no matter how I happen to feel.
I have those days as well where I just don't want to do anything. I'm 44 so I still get around pretty good considering but I'm slowing down.

Reactions: JLeonard and DougE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky