First Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mreeks

Original poster
Oct 20, 2016
Hey guys,

Been building a UDS over the past couple weeks. Got some pics here to show ya!

I picked the barrel up for $10 from a local scrap yard, he told me it came from the university and that it had no chemicals in it.

But just to be safe I had it sand blasted.

Then burned it all out.

Basket sitting in the bottom.

Installed a handle and stove gasket in the lid, drilled more holes, installed a 3" thermometer, and have magnets to regulate airflow.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! Smoked my first pork butt the other day. I think it turned out pretty good for a first run, think I may have been a little on the hot side, on the 3" thermometer I held about 225-250, I have a turkey thermometer but am trying to decide how I'm going to go about mounting that so I can get temps from the center of the barrel. Anyway here are some pics!

I rubbed it with this blend of spices from Penzey's I had. Maybe could've gone a little heavier but it was good.

Finished product after 8 hours smoking. It was perhaps a little on the dry side so I think I'll smoke a bit cooler if I judge by the 3" thermometer. But it turned out some pretty good pulled pork sandwiches good mesquite smoke flavor, put a little BBQ sauce and you can't even tell that its dry.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky