First Brisket, need some advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mshred

Original poster
May 14, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Hey guys,

Looking to do a brisket this coming weekend and have a few questions. I am looking to do a recipe where I can slice the brisket, not pulled (so i am assuming cooler IT). It will be cooked on a UDS.

Wondering what the different types of brisket are and their differences (i.e. packer) and if anyone has any good recipes they are willing to share. This will be my first brisket, and its for a party, so Im hoping I don't screw it up lol

You'll be ok...  A brisket is like most other meats, it needs to cook until it's done.

Rub your brisket with your flavor of choice, place it into a PREHEATED pit at 225, and leave it alone for at least 4 hours.  Then after 4 hours you can insert your temp probe.

For slicing, take the brisket to 195-205.  Test with your meat probe or a skewer to test tenderness.  On a UDS it can be tough to get the tender test done, so if possible, keep it on the top rack.

Once you hit temp and tenderness levels, you can serve, or you can wrap and hold in an empty ice chest.  Wrap the foiled brisket in some towels to help hold heat.

Use and electric knife to slice and you'll be good.

I suggest a packer brisket.  Flats have a tendency to dry out if you aren't careful.

Malcom has a good starter version.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah what Cranky said! The most important thing is to just give yourself enough Time. Smoke the brisket until a probe, toothpick etc. slides in with little to no resistance which will usually be in that 195-205 range. But again patience is key.

Lance

You'll be ok...  A brisket is like most other meats, it needs to cook until it's done.

Rub your brisket with your flavor of choice, place it into a PREHEATED pit at 225, and leave it alone for at least 4 hours.  Then after 4 hours you can insert your temp probe.

For slicing, take the brisket to 195-205.  Test with your meat probe or a skewer to test tenderness.  On a UDS it can be tough to get the tender test done, so if possible, keep it on the top rack.

Once you hit temp and tenderness levels, you can serve, or you can wrap and hold in an empty ice chest.  Wrap the foiled brisket in some towels to help hold heat.

Use and electric knife to slice and you'll be good.

I suggest a packer brisket.  Flats have a tendency to dry out if you aren't careful.

So technically I am only foiling it after I hit my target temp, at which point I will let it rest wrapped in foil and towels in a cooler...how long can it rest for before it's too long?

Also, is there a rule for cook times vs. Weight of the brisket that people like to use?

Thanks for the input so far!

Malcom has a good starter version.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

That was a good help as well...i see that he's actually cooking the brisket in foil after a certain temp/time

Yeah what Cranky said! The most important thing is to just give yourself enough Time. Smoke the brisket until a probe, toothpick etc. slides in with little to no resistance which will usually be in that 195-205 range. But again patience is key.

Lance

Is there a rule of thumb for time vs. Weight?

Thanks for the help so far fellas

1-1:15 per pound is a general guideline but thickness has more to do with cook time than overall weight. If I'm smoking for a get together I will use that timeline to get a general ballpark and add two hours to that. If it gets done early, I wrap in an old towel and put it in a dry cooler. If it wants to be stubborn, well I have an extra two hrs to play with. It seems that where most folks go wrong is, "well it was still only at 180 IT but guests were showing up and I had to go ahead and pull it."

1-1:15 per pound is a general guideline but thickness has more to do with cook time than overall weight. If I'm smoking for a get together I will use that timeline to get a general ballpark and add two hours to that. If it gets done early, I wrap in an old towel and put it in a dry cooler. If it wants to be stubborn, well I have an extra two hrs to play with. It seems that where most folks go wrong is, "well it was still only at 180 IT but guests were showing up and I had to go ahead and pull it."

That is a great piece of advice! Thank you! And you make a very valid point about that extra time being useful either way...thank you!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky