First Brisket ever

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well i have been smoking on my Smoke Vault for many many years. But brisket has alway intimidated me until now. I cooked my first brisket last night and it turned out spectacular. This is going to have to become a staple. It was a small brisket about 9.5lbs before trimming it. View attachment 659306
Congrats on you 1st brisket and it being a success! They will probably get even better from here on out.

I like buying briskets no smaller than about 15 pounds and then triming away the thin portion of the flat meat to have a more uniform and consistent thickness to the flat meat. I repurpose the good meat for other dishes.

Think about doing something like this and you can really step up your game as bigger briskets are less problematic than smaller briskets :)

keep it up! :)

Reactions: Majja13
Congrats on you 1st brisket and it being a success! They will probably get even better from here on out.

I like buying briskets no smaller than about 15 pounds and then triming away the thin portion of the flat meat to have a more uniform and consistent thickness to the flat meat. I repurpose the good meat for other dishes.

Think about doing something like this and you can really step up your game as bigger briskets are less problematic than smaller briskets :)

keep it up! :)
That is not a bad idea. I use to have a friend that was a butcher and when I wanted good burger I would have him grind me 1/3 Brisket, 1/3 Chuck and 1/3 Sirloin or strip and then add enough fat to get it to about 80-20.

Thank for the advice I will give it a go on my next go around.

That is not a bad idea. I use to have a friend that was a butcher and when I wanted good burger I would have him grind me 1/3 Brisket, 1/3 Chuck and 1/3 Sirloin or strip and then add enough fat to get it to about 80-20.

Thank for the advice I will give it a go on my next go around.
Oh yeah, for sure! I live in brisket country so I have been known to buy a couple to grind when they are on sale for like $1.67/lb or sometimes even less :D

So there you go, you have a backup plan for the left over trim. It's also fantastic for braised or stew dishes :)

It sure looks tasty from here! I myself have only done 1 after a long spell of being intimidated by the process as there is nothing like it in my background. Turned out OK ....mabey...now I know better so for your first it's awesome!!! Congrats from here.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky