Fine tuning Mypin PID T-Series Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ryans01z28

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 5, 2013
I have the auto tune set up but it over shoots just a little. I have my target temp at 99.5 and it stays at 100.1-100.2. Any idea how to further adjust this pid to get it closer other than lower my target temp? Maybe that’s what I should do but I was pretty sure there’s a setting I can adjust. Here’s a pic that shows my target at 99.3

Attachments

• 77BD7D0C-3F65-4B32-B6B3-CDF2A11979B9.jpeg
    77BD7D0C-3F65-4B32-B6B3-CDF2A11979B9.jpeg
    115.1 KB · Views: 39
first off... what are you trying to hold this temp in ?? looks like it might be a homemade smokehouse (plywood). what's the size of the smoker ? but anyways.. unless it is COMPLETELY air tight holding at an exact set point (99.3) is going to be nearly impossible. If you read directions carefully I BELIEVE you can change the calibration and should be able to get it to read what the set point is. But will that be what the actual temp is I'm not sure .. see what others say.. I may be off a little ...

first off... what are you trying to hold this temp in ?? looks like it might be a homemade smokehouse (plywood). what's the size of the smoker ? but anyways.. unless it is COMPLETELY air tight holding at an exact set point (99.3) is going to be nearly impossible. If you read directions carefully I BELIEVE you can change the calibration and should be able to get it to read what the set point is. But will the be what the actual temp is I'm not sure .. see what others say.. I may be off a little ...
Well it’s not a smoker. Yes I know this is a smoking meat forum but I had guy help me on here with my smoker pid and there was lots of helpful ppl on here so I’m asking for help again on this project that requires a pid. You are correct it’s a plywood box. I can hold the temp with in .3* but the reading is higher than my target temp. I looked at the manual but they are not very good at explaining much in it.

You can adjust the "input offset" parameter.

I think entering a value of -0.7 ought to do it.

-John

Oops-that's not going to fix it. Sorry.

Manual states auto tune values should be reduced by 5-10 % if trying to control a large thermal mass.

You might at least try reducing the integral term and see what happens.

As someone that works with these types of controllers on a daily basis, I can tell you that the adjustments can be made. BUT...if you aren’t really careful, you can throw the whole thing out of wack pretty quick (experience).

If you are holding at .3 degrees variance on a plywood box that isn’t sealed air tight, I would run with that all day! I have some environmental chambers that can only hold a half degree tolerance AT BEST. Just out of curiosity, why do you want to get it tighter?

Thanks everyone for replying. I got my pid adjusted now. Had to change an offset in the program. It holds really tight now

I have one other question. I auto tuned my pid and now the output light constantly flashes. I can set my target temp lower than the actual internal temp and it keeps flashing. Any idea how or what I should do? It’s done this before and seems like I had to just adjust them temp a few times and then it works but it’s not working this time

Offset is a correction when the displayed temp is not what the actual temp is. For example, the PID reads 100 degrees but using a known accurate thermometer the actual temp is 104 degrees. You would change the offset value so that the PID would read 104 also. It does not change the process temp (temp inside the box), just what reads on the PID display. Think of it as display calibration. In the MYPIN setup menu it should show "PUF" (or a broken bar simulation of this) when you are in the input offset parameter. Was that the setting you changed and are calling offset? If not, what did the display show for the type of setting you changed?

I assume this is the egg incubator you messaged me about. That would explain the tight band of temps and range of temps you are describing here.

If you can make the box less leaky to heat that will help. Insulation is one way (and recommended if it's not already insulated). I don't know anything about incubating eggs, but if you have any air flow such as in an air inlet and exhaust, that could affect the stability of the system. I would presume there must be "some" airflow.

I went back and looked at some of our earlier messages and I have another suggestion. I would leave the 12v air circulation fan on 100% of the time and not tie it to the PID control. With the fan being off as the temp drops and the PID determines heat is needed, from the way you described the setup, the fan and heat are coming on at the same time. You likely have a fairly stagnant air area around the temp sensor with the fan off. So the sensor may be at one temp with the remainder of the incubator at other temps (temps as in some hotter and some colder in different parts of the box). To leave the air circulation fan on 100% of the time, you would be insuring more even temps throughout the entire incubator and the PID is only dealing with one change at a time (ie, adding heat, not having to deal with adding heat and the now blowing fan moving air of different temps). I think shutting the air circulation fan off with the heating element is contributing to your temp swings and leaving it on all the time will tighten the band up more.

As to the flashing.... That normally indicates there is a voltage being output to the SSR to control the process (turn it on, and in this case apply heat). So you are saying that the desired set temp is "A" and the PID is indicating the actual temp inside the box is higher than "A" and the output is flashing (as in turning the SSR and heater on), correct? Did you change any other values besides offset when you went into the setup menu? Also is the "OUT1" light flashing at a stead rate like an error indicator, or is it pulsing like when the heating element is on? Is the SSR LED also flashing in concert with the "OUT1" led? If it is, then the PID is trying to heat the incubator.

Follow up question (probably should be the first question). Did the auto tune complete? The "AT" light should go out and stay out. Also auto tune is persistent, so did you shut the PID off and turn it back on? It should hold the programming.

Last edited:
Everything is insulated. I have 3 fans continuously running circulating the air. I already adjusted the offset along time ago it now reads correct as it should. My problem seems to be after I hit the auto tune. It keeps turning the heat on and off after it’s completed the auto tune cycle. I can have the box at 100* and set the pid target temp to 30* and it just flashes. It doesn’t stay on constant. If the target temp is set to 100* and it’s 105* in the box the light should not be flashing at all until the temp gets within .3* or whatever it is then it should turn it on and off. I tried to upload a video but won’t let me

Last edited:
I would power it down completely and once powered up, run the auto tune again. Make sure it completes before changing anything on the PID.

thinking that it's going to still heat a lil bit just to bring temps down gradually... if it just turns off then temps are gonna fall below set point to quick (or to far) below... did it come back down to 100` from the 105 ` you said ?? If you notice when it auto tunes it will rise above set point and then drop below set point a few times before finally settling in ...

thinking that it's going to still heat a lil bit just to bring temps down gradually... if it just turns off then temps are gonna fall below set point to quick (or to far) below... did it come back down to 100` from the 105 ` you said ?? If you notice when it auto tunes it will rise above set point and then drop below set point a few times before finally settling in ...
No it would keep going up. I shut it down and trying it again now

I got thinking after I hit auto tune I changed the target temp. I wonder if that’s where I got messed up. I prob can’t touch it once i hit auto tune. I’m still waiting for it to auto tune.

So after the auto tune shut off my target temp is at 99.7* and the box temp is sitting at 102.-103* and the output light is still flashing. It should not even be on with the temp up that high

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky