Finally Happy with ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

boxkiller

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 15, 2017
South Eastern, PA
I have been smoking for a while and have never had ribs that I felt were worth sharing. Started with loin back, and switched to St. Louis style ribs last year. I use a MES40 with a AMPS and always cooked at 225. Tried wrapping/not wrapping etc... I have a flavor profile we really enjoy but ribs are never tender enough. I have always used time to cook ribs(I know stupid) but that seems to be what everyone says to do. This weekend while browsing the forums I found a thread or many threads that talked about doing ribs to a temp of 195ish. What a difference, they are the best ribs I have ever made, 4 racks went almost instantly people could not get enough of them.

My question is they took forever to get to 195 IT, they were in the smoker for a little over 8 hours. While they were great that just seems like an excessive amount of time. Is this normal to get to this temp or could it be something with my setup?
ribs.jpg

Great looking ribs!

You don't have to use 225F. You can use 250 or 275F and get the same results in less time.

There is a common misconception that the meat responds differently at different temps. Nope. It's a physics thing. Try 250F next time and you can finish anywhere from 5 to 6.5 hours with the same result. 275F will put you in the 4 to 5.5 hour mark. The size of the rack causes the variation in finishing times at each temp. Try to get racks close to the same weight and thickness if doing more than one.

Last edited:
Reactions: tallbm
Nice job on the ribs they look fantastic. I've never had a whole lot of luck taking the temp of ribs. I'm either to close to a bone or I poke thru. I like using the bend test for doneness. It works well for me.

Point for sure
Chris

I'm guessing your previous ribs were probably not cooked long enough. Ribs look great this time though! I usually do mine 225-250 with an hour 1/2-2 hours in foil depending whether they are BB's or STL's. Pull at 195ish. Looks like you got it down though!

I also don't use a temp gauge I look for the meat to start pulling off tip of rib, then give it a bend test, also are you using a different thermometer for your smoker temps as you are probably aware mes thermometers are know to be off. your ribs look great!! so use what ever method is best for you.

It does look like it was worth the wait.......But if you don't want them, I'll send you my address.

They look great! Full spare ribs are probably my favorite thing to smoke. For me, the separated rib tips are where it's at. In my admittedly limited experience, I see no discernible difference between 225 and 250, or even 275. But I stick to 225 whenever possible.

Those look really tasty. I cooked 3 racks last week in my pellet cooker. Set it on 250. I went 1st 3 hours just lightly spritzing with apple cider (to not wash the rub off the ribs) then I wrapped them in foil and checked them after 1 1/2 hours. I should have pulled them after 1 hour of wrapping to get that (contest worthy light tug) but instead they were at the "fall off the bone" stage. I'm telling you they were so tender but not mushy. Might have been a good as any ribs I've ever cooked.

l cook my next batch of St Louis style ribs at 230 and see how that works. My temps were in the same range as yours. Nothing but bones were tossed. Everyone that ate some want's more. Makes it fun. WE love ribs!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky