Fermenting Vegetables...... How To ????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 12, 2010
Omak,Washington,U.S.A.
ADMIN..... move this thread to the NEW FORUM..... "Fermenting foods for Health and Storage" or what ever it is going to be called..... please..... Dave

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Morning all,  I have read about fermenting pickles etc. on the forum.... and I have read about it on web sites....  Now I need opinions on methods...

Pickles.... some say to add whey for "lacto fermentation" and if you don't, "add more salt".... 

Q... is there a difference in finished product one way or the other ???

Q...   why add the whey?    and can you add whey powder, or pour off the liquid from "all natural" sour cream, yogurt etc.... 

For crisp pickles some say, "add a grape leaf, or horseradish leaf" of which I have both.... because it adds tannins which crisp stuff up......

They don't say how to clean the leaves, or how many, or if you can dehydrate them to use in the winter or vac pack, or freeze for later use....

Q. Has anyone used either leaf or both or what ???  

These recipes are just like my mom's recipes.... she never gave you all the ingredients or specifics.... She was such a good cook.....  

I got some air locks coming for using in 2 quart jars my local farm store has in stock, and a small 1 gallon crock for trying pickled cabbage....  

Q.. Once fermented in the crock, can it be moved to a sealed, sterilized quart jar in the fridge for storage ???

I need advice on the Sauerkraut also.. and any favorite recipes for Kim Chi....  

Maybe we need a new thread on "Fermenting Food".....  Healthy stuff from what I read and have read here....  

This whole exercise is a beginning to a "future preserving food" for my home.... starting small now and seeing how it goes.....  tweaking recipes etc.....

I think Diggy has mentioned fermented stuff on here before, and that is where the interest started.... then the video last week on fermenting in quart jars....

Now it is time to get started.....  

Dave

Last edited:
ADMIN..... move this thread to the NEW FORUM..... "Fermenting foods for Health and Storage" or what ever it is going to be called..... please..... Dave
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Morning all,  I have read about fermenting pickles etc. on the forum.... and I have read about it on web sites....  Now I need opinions on methods...
Pickles.... some say to add whey for "lacto fermentation" and if you don't, "add more salt".... 
         Q... is there a difference in finished product one way or the other ???
          Q...   why add the whey?    and can you add whey powder, or pour off the liquid from "all natural" sour cream, yogurt etc.... 
The whey (yogurt whey is what is most often recommended) is not essential, but it's cheap insurance to help gaurantee that fermentation get's of to a good start. There's not necessarily a noticeable difference in the end product whether whey is used or not. I wouldn't use yeast as some recommend, lacto fermentation is what you want. IMHO, it's best to rely on wild fermentation.

For crisp pickles some say, "add a grape leaf, or horseradish leaf" of which I have both.... because it adds tannins which crisp stuff up......
They don't say how to clean the leaves, or how many, or if you can dehydrate them to use in the winter or vac pack, or freeze for later use....
       Q. Has anyone used either leaf or both or what ???

Wild grape leaves work the best, 2-3 per half gallon jar. In the case of cucmbers for pickles, cutting a bit of the blossom end gets rid of an enzyme that can soften them during fermentation.

These recipes are just like my mom's recipes.... she never gave you all the ingredients or specifics.... She was such a good cook.....  

I got some air locks coming for using in 2 quart jars my local farm store has in stock, and a small 1 gallon crock for trying pickled cabbage....  
    Q.. Once fermented in the crock, can it be moved to a sealed, sterilized quart jar in the fridge for storage ???

I don't use air loks, I fernet mostly in 1/2 gallon Mason jars, I just use the Mason jar lid (minus the ring) and weight it done with a 1 pound weight. I fill the jar to the very top, topping off with brine. Put on the lid and I DON'T open the jar until fermentation is done.
There's no problem moving it to the fridge for storage.

I need advice on the Sauerkraut also.. and any favorite recipes for Kim Chi....  

Maybe we need a new thread on "Fermenting Food".....  Healthy stuff from what I read and have read here....  

This whole exercise is a beginning to a "future preserving food" for my home.... starting small now and seeing how it goes.....  tweaking recipes etc.....

I think Diggy has mentioned fermented stuff on here before, and that is where the interest started.... then the video last week on fermenting in quart jars....

Now it is time to get started.....  

Dave

I'll type out my Kimchi recipe later when i have more time.

HTH

~Martin

Last edited:
I have used this recipe before and it is very good. I use fish sauce in mine.
[h3] [/h3][h3]Korean Spicy Pickled Cabbage (Baechu Kimchi)[/h3]
[h3] [/h3][h3]Ingredients:[/h3]
10 cups of water

2 Napa cabbages, washed and cut into 2-inch squares

1 cup coarse salt (or kosher or sea salt)

1 Tbsp finely chopped garlic

1 Tbsp chopped ginger

½ cup red pepper flakes (kochukaru)

2 Tbsp sugar

5 scallions, cut into 1/2 inch pieces

fish sauce, optional*
[h3] [/h3][h3]Preparation:[/h3]
In large nonreactive bowl or pot, mix salt into water.
Add cabbage to salt water and if necessary, weigh down with large plate so leaves are all submerged.
Soak cabbage for 5-6 hours.
Remove cabbage and rinse in cold water, squeezing out excess liquid.
In a large bowl, mix garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, sugar, and scallions.
Add cabbage and coat with seasoning mixture.
Pack the seasoned cabbage into a large airtight jar with lid.
Let kimchi ferment in a cool place for 2-3 days before serving or putting in refrigerator.

(Serves 12)

*There are countless ways to make kimchi, but traditional recipes usually include fish sauce, brined tiny shrimp or fresh oysters. Try 2-3 Tbsp of fish sauce or 2 Tbsp of chopped brined shrimp if you'd like to experiment. I am always nervous about people oversalting their kimchi. Because every fish sauce and brined shrimp has a different amount of salt, I advise you to use them sparingly if you've never made kimchi before.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky