Fermenting sausage with yogurt. Has any done it here??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bratrules

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Southern Cali.
Am looking to get some feed back on making fermented sausage with yogurt. The reason i want to give it a try is because the Bactoferm F-LC expired on me. I heard that you can ferment sausage with yogurt but i want to know how much it need per pound of meat and any other info that would be use full. If anybody has any info i would really appreciated it. 

So your looking for the TANG from the lactic acid?

Just use buttermilk. Leave out the water. Buttermilk has lactic acid in it.

I was actually thinking of buttermilk before i came up on yogurt. They both have the same live active cultures. That would most likely work. But i wonder if the buttermilk would be more sour than the yogurt. While doing some searching i came upon this link http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=6381

I will most likely give it shot. And i will be sure to post up my results. I would buy some more Bactoferm but that stuff is 15 bucks a pop and it only last 6 months in the freezer. so that's why i want to try some alternative methods. Thanks Nepas for your feed back.

So your looking for the TANG from the lactic acid?

Just use buttermilk. Leave out the water. Buttermilk has lactic acid in it.
This sounds interesting, any special handling required or just use buttermilk in place of water and process as usual? I don't have a cure chamber or any way to control the RH.

This sounds interesting, any special handling required or just use buttermilk in place of water and process as usual? I don't have a cure chamber or any way to control the RH.
Yes just omit the water and use the buttermilk, get the regular not the non fat or reduced.

You need the right temp with the humidity.

If you have a cure or fermenting box.

You can use a cookie sheet to control the R/H. Put 1/4" of non iodized salt on the entire bottom of the sheet, pour distilled water into the salt to where its just barely above the salt. This should keep the R/H close to the 70%

Also you can use whats called humidity beads, these are often used by putting 1 lb of the beads into a new cut off foot end of a pair of pantyhose. Tie the end and soak the beads with distilled water. This is how cigars are kept with the optimum humidity of 70% R/H in an Igloo humidor. The beads are really cheap and can be re used over and over.

I was actually thinking of buttermilk before i came up on yogurt. They both have the same live active cultures. That would most likely work. But i wonder if the buttermilk would be more sour than the yogurt. While doing some searching i came upon this link http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=6381

I will most likely give it shot. And i will be sure to post up my results. I would buy some more Bactoferm but that stuff is 15 bucks a pop and it only last 6 months in the freezer. so that's why i want to try some alternative methods. Thanks Nepas for your feed back.
Morning..... I have read SaCo Cultured Buttermilk ( powdered ) is the same a bactoferm.... I don't know if it is true... Maybe nepas could add or correct this information...    Dave   ....     After writing this I decided to explore......

Quote from nepas 8-29-11

Fermento is on the same lines as powdered buttermilk you can buy in the stores. Fermento will not give you the really tangy taste you find in store bough slim jims because it does not lower the ph enough like ECA or the BactoFerms do. Fermento and ECA will let you mix stuff smoke right away as the BactoFerms will require time to reduce the ph level in the meat thus creating the tang which work with the corn syrup solids.

Liquid Buttermilk has the lactic acid in it already and will work fairly quick with just an overnight stay in the fridge. If you dont have any of the BactoFerms just go to the store and get some buttermilk. Really you wont taste the dairy in your sticks.

NOTE: Using to much Fermento and ECA will make your mix mushy and not worth smoking.

ECA has a small capsule of maltodexrine around the CA. The capsule melts away at 135* to release the CA into the meat thus lowering the ph.

So if you really want the super TANG you need to use BacotFerms which will require dextrose or sucrose. The more of these two you use the sharper the TANG which is a ph of 6.5 to 7.0

Ok back to my corner now. Sorry for any typo's

Last edited:
#nepas. "So if you really want the super TANG you need to use BacotFerms which will require dextrose or sucrose. The more of these two you use the sharper the TANG which is a ph of 6.5 to 7.0"

I want to try to get a sharp TANG in my summer sausage. I've used ECA, and it just doesn't quite do it for me. Can you expand on this for me nepas?? Can you give me a step by step for using dextrose/sucrose, and bactoferms? Does it then need fermentation time, or just an overnight fridge sit? I usually do a 10-15 lb batch. Thanks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky