Favorite Iowa BBQ Restaurant

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I live in Bondurant and seem to always getting stuck eating the north east metro joints. Bandanas and Papa Chubby's in Ankeny. Both are OK. Kin Folks and Claxton's in Altoona. These both are good if you order the right thing. I have had excellent food and the next time it's average. I need to expand the travel area and try some other it seems.

....that Iowa was such a hotbed of BBQ!!!

Being from Ohio, I guess I've been rather ignorant of all the good food you folks have available. I have to say, it rather makes me jealous!

We have one local place in Akron that does good Q, other than that it's the standard ribs at Outback or such. Well, there is "Hot Sauce Williams" in Cleveland, but not many good BBQ places around here -- not like I've seen listed in this post.

Nice to learn something about another area of the country.

Good thread Dude!

in the DM area we got 15 options if you count famous daves and buffalo wild wings

Has anyone been to "The Q" on 8th Street in WDM yet?

http://www.thedmq.com/

Used to be Garcia's, Bordo's, and a million other things? I've been meaning to try it but have not yet.

Also, this thread date's back awhile and no mention of KC BBQ? I'm curious at to what people think of it. Two locations now, so someone must like it.

Lately my favorite has been Woody's.

HEY, we was talk'n Q-joints
tongue.gif

I will post something up for the 26th, already sent some PM's
May want to call ahead to The Bait shop, make sure they have a supply of Matilda.

I've been to several of the before mentioned as well. I've had both good and so-so reviews on them as well. I will try to keep checking out this thread and see if I can meet up with some of us locals, if I'm invited that is.

Hickory Park is a very nice place where you can enjoy the food with your friends. I've been there several times and I can savor the taste of the food. Aside from that, I think the best place to enjoy barbeque is at the beach also. Commercial Refrigerator

Battle's in Ames has gone down hill since the new ownership (brisket always overcooked and prices raised), but honestly I could drink their hot BBQ sauce it's so good. I have been trying to recreate it for about a year with no luck. Hickory Park's chicken is real good, but I find the other bbq meats lacking. I still eat there all the time though. You can't beat a half chicken dark meat with two sides and a roll for $6. If you ever get a chance, try Battle's BBQ sauce. It is the best KC style sauce I have ever tried.

I've been eating Kin Folks for years now, down in Attica and now in Altoona. Always good food, the brisket has never dissapointed me and I've only been dissapointed with the ribs one time. Their smoked sausage is one of my favorites anywhere. their potato salad and coleslaw are great as are all the sides. It's where i go for good q when i don't want to cook. Claxon's here in Altoona I just don't do, never great in my opinion, not bad... but not great. Hickory park is consistent, inexpensive good and fast, and I'd never be scared to eat their. I think thats been the secret to their success. But really, who does q as good as us.....
icon_wink.gif

try KinFolks in Attica, just across the street from McDonald's (thats an inside joke by the way)
PDT_Armataz_01_23.gif
its some "good eats" there, its well worth the drive time.

NO DOUBT!!, We have a Battle's in Nevada, that sauce is UNREAL, don't eat there much, but...............THAT SAUCE!!

So, when we gonna get some us and meat up there for a feed, it's somewhat on the way back to my home village.

I have to make it down to smokey d's since he is the very first tlc BBQ pit master. Good showing for the hawkeye state two in the final.

Last edited:
i personally like hickory park the best. it's a 30 minute drive but i think it's worth it.

coming in in a close second for me is smoky d's in des moines.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky