Extended 18 hour active Brisket Hold Experiment Was a Success!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kevin james

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
Sacramento, CA
So lately, I have been obsessed with finding a way to do 12+ hour brisket holds as I'm convinced it will make life easier by giving the ability to cook today for tomorrow's dinner so I don't need to choose between staying up all night, or waking up at 4AM etc. when I want brisket. It will also potentially lead to a better end product, I mean hey... this is what Franklin and most of the real Texas places do and many think it is one of the keys to why their briskets turn out so great (in addition to starting with a quality piece of meat and their consistency).

Unfortunately, my oven's lowest setting is 175 which is way too hot, and I also have a feeling it runs hotter than the set temperature. It also has a safety shut off feature that automatically shuts the oven off after 4 hours.

After checking all the settings I found some good news and some bad news. The good news? I realized there is actually a setting that will put me in the temperature range I want... 145 - 155! The bad news? It is absolutely the worst setting you could possibly use... dehydrate. But, none the less I decided to do some testing. I stuck an ambient probe for my Fireboard 2 in the oven and set it on dehydrate at 145 and left it in for 2 hours. I was right... my oven runs hot.. it was ranging from a low of 156 to 165. So the next day I adjusted it and tested it for multiple hours at 130. It ran between 145 - 155 for 6 hours.... which also told me the auto shutoff does not apply to the dehydrate mode.

So now it was just a matter of how do I use the dehydrate mode without actually dehydrating my brisket? So my theory is that it is multiple factors that contribute to the dehydrate mode working as intended... 1. Very low heat, 2. the convection fan on constant, 3. very thin layers of meat or whatever you are trying to dehydrate. Well, a brisket certainly isn't thin, and I WANT the low heat, so the only thing I'm thinking I need to avoid is the effects of the convection fan, which can easily be done by containing the brisket in it's own environment that is unaffected by the fan.

So.... it was time for a real test. Now... I am a believer that you have to test things to know how they will work, and sometimes things pan out, and sometimes they don't so I was fully prepared to completely ruin a brisket if I attempted this and it failed. But if it doesn't fail... well, it will probably mean I change the way I do my briskets permanently, and the benefits of that out way the cost of ruining 1 brisket if it fails miserably.

So I went to Costco and bought a 12lb Prime packer yesterday morning, trimmed it up, and after trim it was about 9lb.'s. I got it seasoned with SPG and it went on the reverse flow stick burner yesterday afternoon at 4PM cooking at 275. It got wrapped in butcher paper at 8PM, and I rendered some tallow from the trim which was applied to the butcher paper wrap. The wrapped brisket went in to a large foil pan and back in to the pit. It was done by 10PM, probing tender and about 208 in both the flat and the point.

I left my probes in and left the wrapped brisket in the foil pan. I set it on the counter and allowed it to cool to about 160. It took about 2 hours to cool to 160 so about 12AM I covered the foil pan with foil to seal it (so it would be unaffected by the fan), and it also appeared to have plenty of moisture from rendered fat in the bottom of the foil pan. So in the oven it went on dehydrate at 130, and I set alarms on the probes to a low of 140 on the point, the flat, and an ambient probe. I stayed up a couple more hours and by 2AM the internals had dropped to 152. I went to bed, but woke up a couple times and checked and it was still holding steady with internals around 150, so it appeared everything was working well.

I got up around 9AM today and it was still holding steady but had dropped a little bit to 148.I would prefer to keep it at a minimum of 150, so I bumped the temp up just a little to get it to climb back up to 150, then lowered the oven temp back down.

At 6:00PM it was time to see if this was a success or a failure. So I pulled it and got it ready to slice. First impressions?
OMG... YES this was definitely a success. In total it was a 20 hour hold including 2 hours on the counter top to let it cool when it came out of the pit and 18 hours in the oven fluctuating between 145 and 155.

Moisture was definitely NOT a problem, infact the butcher paper was absolutely DRENCHED when I pulled it out and the whole thing jiggled like jello. Only the very tip of the flat felt a little harder when I squeezed it which worried me, but it actually sliced like warm butter from end to end.

I will say that after a 20 hour hold I was a little paranoid that if my probes were off it could be unsafe, so I double and tripple checked it right when I pulled it out with two different Thermapens just to make sure they agreed with the Fireboard. Checking multiple spots in the point and flat both Thermapens read above 140 in all spots, most between 143 and 145.

Unfortunately my camera sucks so the pics didn't come out to great, but they are good enough to show how drenched the butcher paper was when it came out and you can definitely so how juicy it was on the point shots, the flat shots came out a little blurry though. I need a new camera...

Anyways, I will say that for me, this was a game changer and I will probably be doing all my briskets this way going forward. A long as the foil pan is sealed with foil and there is a good amount of moisture inside there are no problems with using the dehydrate setting, and I won't be worried about adding any additional moisture, it doesn't appear to be needed.

And now for the pics... sorry about the low quality.

Brisket Wrap.jpg
Brisket Flat Slices.jpg
Brisket Flat.jpg
Brisket Point.jpg
Brisket Point Slice.jpg
Brisket Point Slice 2.jpg
Plate.jpg

Last edited:
Food safety would be my main concern. You are pushing the limits in my opinion. Be a better cook, buy better equipment, get up earlier, work longer hours, but don’t push rest time to 18 hours. Spades are not fun to face.

Reactions: kevin james
Food safety would be my main concern. You are pushing the limits in my opinion. Be a better cook, buy better equipment, get up earlier, work longer hours, but don’t push rest time to 18 hours. Spades are not fun to face.

While I do understand your point, I am not attempting anything here that the most famous BBQ restaurants are not doing on a daily basis. Most cook their briskets today for tomorrows service. This is something that has been documented and discussed many times. Franklin for example pulls his briskets around midnight, lets them cool to 140 ( I went to 160), then they put them in a warming cabinet set to 145 where they sit for 12+ hours until the next days service. Also, I was VERY careful with this, tracking the temperatures the entire time which never dipped below 148 during the hold, and it was still above 140 when I sliced. Believe me, I would not have attempted this if it was not a tried and proven concept.

Reactions: ConrodM and DanMcG
Impressive bit of Brisket info! Thanks.
There is no Safety Issue. When the USDA talks about staying above 140, they are taking All types of foods and holding practices into consideration. An uncovered pan of Pulled Pork in a Chafer on a Buffet, is very different from a Butt or Brisket wrapped in Paper and Foil and in a 150° F Oven or Heated Holding Cabinet that Restaurants use.
You MUST keep the Pulled Pork on the Buffet, that is exposed to Air and People, above 140°and stir frequently if it's slow. However, it would take some Super Powered, Gene Spliced, Alien Bacteria to get into a Closed Oven, through 150°F hot air turbulants of a Convection Fan, through a Layer of Foil and a Layer of Fat Soaked Paper, Land on the Brisket and then Multiply on the 150°F Hot surface of the Beef! Not likely.☺ This is why Hot Holding is a USDA/FDA approved method...JJ

Nice write up & what a great experiment!
That might be the juiciest brisket I have ever seen.
I think that the next brisket I do I will try it this way.
Thanks for taking the time to write this up & post it.
Al

We must be fans of the same youtuber haha. I did the exact same experiment this weekend except I used my old MES30 to hold it over night. I also rendered the fat into tallow and smeared it on the paper before wrapping it. if you plan on doing this on a regular basis and can score an old MES for cheap I highly recommend it, with a clay stone in the MES the temps help within +/- 1 degree all night. And I second the statement of this was absolutely the most juicy brisket I have ever had!

it would take some Super Powered, Gene Spliced, Alien Bacteria to get into a Closed Oven, through 150°F hot air turbulants of a Convection Fan, through a Layer of Foil and a Layer of Fat Soaked Paper, Land on the Brisket and then Multiply on the 150°F Hot surface of the Beef!

I SAW that George Romero movie!

• Haha
Reactions: chef jimmyj
So lately, I have been obsessed with finding a way to do 12+ hour brisket holds as I'm convinced it will make life easier by giving the ability to cook today for tomorrow's dinner so I don't need to choose between staying up all night, or waking up at 4AM etc. when I want brisket. It will also potentially lead to a better end product, I mean hey... this is what Franklin and most of the real Texas places do and many think it is one of the keys to why their briskets turn out so great (in addition to starting with a quality piece of meat and their consistency).

Unfortunately, my oven's lowest setting is 175 which is way too hot, and I also have a feeling it runs hotter than the set temperature. It also has a safety shut off feature that automatically shuts the oven off after 4 hours.

After checking all the settings I found some good news and some bad news. The good news? I realized there is actually a setting that will put me in the temperature range I want... 145 - 155! The bad news? It is absolutely the worst setting you could possibly use... dehydrate. But, none the less I decided to do some testing. I stuck an ambient probe for my Fireboard 2 in the oven and set it on dehydrate at 145 and left it in for 2 hours. I was right... my oven runs hot.. it was ranging from a low of 156 to 165. So the next day I adjusted it and tested it for multiple hours at 130. It ran between 145 - 155 for 6 hours.... which also told me the auto shutoff does not apply to the dehydrate mode.

So now it was just a matter of how do I use the dehydrate mode without actually dehydrating my brisket? So my theory is that it is multiple factors that contribute to the dehydrate mode working as intended... 1. Very low heat, 2. the convection fan on constant, 3. very thin layers of meat or whatever you are trying to dehydrate. Well, a brisket certainly isn't thin, and I WANT the low heat, so the only thing I'm thinking I need to avoid is the effects of the convection fan, which can easily be done by containing the brisket in it's own environment that is unaffected by the fan.

So.... it was time for a real test. Now... I am a believer that you have to test things to know how they will work, and sometimes things pan out, and sometimes they don't so I was fully prepared to completely ruin a brisket if I attempted this and it failed. But if it doesn't fail... well, it will probably mean I change the way I do my briskets permanently, and the benefits of that out way the cost of ruining 1 brisket if it fails miserably.

So I went to Costco and bought a 12lb Prime packer yesterday morning, trimmed it up, and after trim it was about 9lb.'s. I got it seasoned with SPG and it went on the reverse flow stick burner yesterday afternoon at 4PM cooking at 275. It got wrapped in butcher paper at 8PM, and I rendered some tallow from the trim which was applied to the butcher paper wrap. The wrapped brisket went in to a large foil pan and back in to the pit. It was done by 10PM, probing tender and about 208 in both the flat and the point.

I left my probes in and left the wrapped brisket in the foil pan. I set it on the counter and allowed it to cool to about 160. It took about 2 hours to cool to 160 so about 12AM I covered the foil pan with foil to seal it (so it would be unaffected by the fan), and it also appeared to have plenty of moisture from rendered fat in the bottom of the foil pan. So in the oven it went on dehydrate at 130, and I set alarms on the probes to a low of 140 on the point, the flat, and an ambient probe. I stayed up a couple more hours and by 2AM the internals had dropped to 152. I went to bed, but woke up a couple times and checked and it was still holding steady with internals around 150, so it appeared everything was working well.

I got up around 9AM today and it was still holding steady but had dropped a little bit to 148.I would prefer to keep it at a minimum of 150, so I bumped the temp up just a little to get it to climb back up to 150, then lowered the oven temp back down.

At 6:00PM it was time to see if this was a success or a failure. So I pulled it and got it ready to slice. First impressions?
OMG... YES this was definitely a success. In total it was a 20 hour hold including 2 hours on the counter top to let it cool when it came out of the pit and 18 hours in the oven fluctuating between 145 and 155.

Moisture was definitely NOT a problem, infact the butcher paper was absolutely DRENCHED when I pulled it out and the whole thing jiggled like jello. Only the very tip of the flat felt a little harder when I squeezed it which worried me, but it actually sliced like warm butter from end to end.

I will say that after a 20 hour hold I was a little paranoid that if my probes were off it could be unsafe, so I double and tripple checked it right when I pulled it out with two different Thermapens just to make sure they agreed with the Fireboard. Checking multiple spots in the point and flat both Thermapens read above 140 in all spots, most between 143 and 145.

Unfortunately my camera sucks so the pics didn't come out to great, but they are good enough to show how drenched the butcher paper was when it came out and you can definitely so how juicy it was on the point shots, the flat shots came out a little blurry though. I need a new camera...

Anyways, I will say that for me, this was a game changer and I will probably be doing all my briskets this way going forward. A long as the foil pan is sealed with foil and there is a good amount of moisture inside there are no problems with using the dehydrate setting, and I won't be worried about adding any additional moisture, it doesn't appear to be needed.

And now for the pics... sorry about the low quality.

View attachment 498344View attachment 498345View attachment 498346View attachment 498347View attachment 498348View attachment 498349View attachment 498350

Excellent experiment, information, and post!!!

Tightly double wrapping (with now leaks) in heavy duty foil and holding in the oven works well like this also.

I had a brisket once that didnt finish over night and I had to go to work for 10hrs+ so I just transferred it to the oven tightly wrapped at like 190F so it would finish and hold and low and behold when I came back it was 190F everywhere I proved and I proved all over hahaha.

Even if double wrapped in foil it's still best to set on a baking pan just incase there is a tiny tear or a leak.

Great info and for sure a great post to link back to when people ask about holding briskets in the oven or for any period of time over 6hrs+ :)

I also thought this was an excellent experiment. In fact, it prompted me into measuring the temperatures in my oven’s warming tray. The lowest setting averaged 150*, with a temp range of 154*-145*. Perfect for holding a brisket.

I want to throw out a question and see what you guys think. Let’s say I wanted to pull a brisket early (due to any number of reasons) with an IT of say 190*. As an example. The brisket is not done. However, in order to finish it, and, give it a good rest (all in one step), would it be feasible to pull it off the smoker, immediately wrap it in towels, and put it into a cooler for several hours until I ready to serve ?

I want to throw out a question and see what you guys think. Let’s say I wanted to pull a brisket early (due to any number of reasons) with an IT of say 190*. As an example. The brisket is not done. However, in order to finish it, and, give it a good rest (all in one step), would it be feasible to pull it off the smoker, immediately wrap it in towels, and put it into a cooler for several hours until I ready to serve ?

You may get a ton of answers to this one. 190F is pretty low IMO. I've smoked a brisket to 200F, wrapped it in foil and towels, stuck it in a cooler and served it 4 hours later after a 3 hour drive. It had more chew than I prefer. Everyone loved it, but it wasn't my best.

My best ever was a pre-covid ornery "Choice grade or better" grocery store packer. I wrapped it in foil after the stall with a cup of beef broth. The flat did not probe tender with an IT of 207F after an overnight smoke. I tossed it still wrapped in a pan in a 170F oven until lunch, about 3.5 hours. The entire packer, flat and point, was juicy and melt in your mouth tender when I cut into it. Sliced beautifully.

That might give you some ideas.

Reactions: ConrodM and tallbm
I also thought this was an excellent experiment. In fact, it prompted me into measuring the temperatures in my oven’s warming tray. The lowest setting averaged 150*, with a temp range of 154*-145*. Perfect for holding a brisket.

what noboundaries noboundaries said. You are seriously gambling if you only go to 190F IT and then hold it and expect it to come out well. Edible sure but good, it's a pure gamble each brisket.

Reactions: noboundaries
I agree, 190 is shy of, OK to finish in a cooler. 200°F is likely as low as I would go...JJ

Thanks for the responses. This was really a hypothetical discussion. Because, in the real world, when it comes to brisket, there are a lot of variables going into a smoke. My biggest take away, of pulling a brisket at 190*, is the temperature reached in the after cook is not sufficient to get to a probe tender stage, even though it is sitting in a cooler (immediately after being pulled off the smoker) where we can have an extended period of time at higher temps AND an extended time for it to rest. And this would be true, regardless of how long the brisket was in the cooler? Correct?

I wish I could test this, but, I really don’t want to run the risk of wasting a $40-50 brisket on an experiment. Plus, I hate wasting food.

BTW, concerning the initial post of this thread, I reheated a whole brisket (in a pan, double wrapped in plastic and foil) for a party, to 155* IT in an oven, placed it in a warmed cooler, where it rested for 8 hours. Came out perfect when sliced at party time. So, that is my experience with a long rest.

Your take away is correct. For clarity, stopping at 190F and putting in a cooler does not = proper cooking for tenderness and no guarantee that it would ever get tender in such a case.
The key is for it to be cooked to tenderness THEN manage it from there. You can't effectively try the other way around.

Just do the sure fired practices and you will be ok :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky