English Braid (Links)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
Just for fun I sometimes link my sausage with the English braid technique, just something different and fun to do, when I link breakfast sausage I almost always do it this way. This is some of my roasted green Chile and cheddar sausage in 32mm natural casings.

I took some pictures along the way but it’s difficult to do the braid and take pictures at the same time, so I found a YT video and will post that link first for you to follow my horrible pictures.

Start out with 3 links made.
IMG_1696.jpeg

Cross the first link with the last at the twist. Take the first link underneath and back through the other two links
IMG_1697.jpeg

Now pull the long rope of sausage up to meet the top of the two joined links and pinch then pull the rope through the two from the back making a loop the length you want the links, pinch together then twist.
IMG_1698.jpeg

IMG_1699.jpeg

IMG_1700.jpeg

Here we are all done and in the smokehouse.
IMG_1701.jpeg

I had to tie the last two up just for length but I could have tied and cut them off as well.

That is pretty cool Eric but it sure seems like a lot of work :emoji_laughing: I'm lucky just to get the links stuffed. Forget trying to do something this creative. I'd probably destroy all my sausages.

Robert

Reactions: SmokinEdge
That's pretty cool Edge.

Point for sure
Chris
Thank you Chris.

Looks good
Appreciate it Jim.

That is pretty cool Eric but it sure seems like a lot of work :emoji_laughing: I'm lucky just to get the links stuffed. Forget trying to do something this creative. I'd probably destroy all my sausages.

Robert
It’s actually faster I think and is very easy once you get used to the process. One thing I really like is the links won’t unravel when hanging to smoke and no string tying. On the down side they touch and block a bit of smoke on the link, not a deal breaker if you will grill them later.

Here is another YT video that shows this method but also shows the 2 link system which is very easy and again the links cannot unravel, plus they do get better smoke. I just like the link in 3 because it makes the string of sausage shorter when stuffing with hank casings. Give this a look, easy peasy.

Reactions: tallbm
that's what I was going to ask. But most of your flavour is the actual sausage.

I like it , boy on the vid. he makes it seem so easy. And a lot looser than any i have made.

David
I do pay close attention to just fill the casing and not get them to tight. In the video they look really loose but the meat acts warm to my eyes, very squishy and I’m sure not cured.

Just for fun I sometimes link my sausage with the English braid technique, just something different and fun to do, when I link breakfast sausage I almost always do it this way. This is some of my roasted green Chile and cheddar sausage in 32mm natural casings.

I took some pictures along the way but it’s difficult to do the braid and take pictures at the same time, so I found a YT video and will post that link first for you to follow my horrible pictures.

Start out with 3 links made.
View attachment 677912
Cross the first link with the last at the twist. Take the first link underneath and back through the other two links
View attachment 677913
Now pull the long rope of sausage up to meet the top of the two joined links and pinch then pull the rope through the two from the back making a loop the length you want the links, pinch together then twist.
View attachment 677914
View attachment 677915
View attachment 677916
Here we are all done and in the smokehouse.
View attachment 677917
I had to tie the last two up just for length but I could have tied and cut them off as well.

Nice post! I do the chain linking when I smoke my sausages.

My main reason... Linking like this fits more sausage into the smoker!
So I'm completely on board.

Also as slavikborisov slavikborisov mentions, this works well with cellulose cases and then means I need WAY LESS pieces of butcher twine to tie links because the chains hold all the links in place without needing the twin :D

Good work!

Thank you.
For hot dogs that I smoke I prefer the 2 braid over the 3 braid just because more smoke gets on the sausages see the video in my post #5. If I am poaching then I use the 3 braid. I just thought of these methods and was making sausage so I thought I’d share.

Nice post! I do the chain linking when I smoke my sausages.

My main reason... Linking like this fits more sausage into the smoker!
So I'm completely on board.

Also as slavikborisov slavikborisov mentions, this works well with cellulose cases and then means I need WAY LESS pieces of butcher twine to tie links because the chains hold all the links in place without needing the twin :D

Good work!

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky