English bangers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ks_wayward_son

Original poster
Apr 21, 2021
Never had an English banger sausage, but got some seasoning in try them out. Not really sure what the flavor profile will be?

Anyways, I've heard that in order for it to be a "proper" banger, it needs a rusk, or some kind of bread crumbs/filler? Im not too concerned with absolute authenticity, but what would constitute a proper rusk, or at least a suitable replacement?

Thanks.

Reactions: Wurstmeister
I'm curious how this comes out and how much rusk/bread crumbs are involved. I not long ago made Irish Sausage (a lot like bangers) from a Rytek Kutas recipe
that used a massive amount of bread crumbs. I didn't care for it.

Reactions: Wurstmeister
I'm curious how this comes out and how much rusk/bread crumbs are involved. I not long ago made Irish Sausage (a lot like bangers) from a Rytek Kutas recipe
that used a massive amount of bread crumbs. I didn't care for it.
I was on the British website when you asked this question. Here is a link back to the LocalFoodHeros site providing a Bangers recipe. Looks like out of 1kg there only 80g of Rusk added to the mixture which is 20% fat. 🍻
John

The Thurlaston Sausage - Local Food Heroes

Reactions: SmokyMose
I got served Bangers and mash on a Brit destroyer many years ago. Neither bangers or the dried potato mash stand out as memorable. Their Bangers to me were a crappy hot dog
The friendship in the Chief's Mess is something I will never forget.

Reactions: zwiller
Some good thoughts and ideas. I wonder if you could process croutons for the same result. Probably be a lot of croutons though.

I got served Bangers and mash on a Brit destroyer many years ago. Neither bangers or the dried potato mash stand out as memorable. Their Bangers to me were a crappy hot dog
My uncle worked in London one summer and on his last day his friends asked him what he will miss and he said the beer and uh, uh, hmmm, uh... :emoji_laughing: That said, I have a lot of respect for mild sausages, they have their place. I dug around and found this. Not sure if you guys know who Blumenthal is but he is basically the UK equivalent of Alton Brown. I have one of his cookbook and the amount of detail in it is impressive.
https://www.thepauperedchef.com/article/homemade-british-bangers-and-the-search-for-rusk

The way I see it is that sausage is cheap to buy so when I make my own I want it to be the best it can. Honestly, not sure if it will really make a difference but I enjoy to geek out with this stuff and would make it once to see for myself.

Reactions: Fueling Around
My best friend loved bangers & mash. I went with him to the restaurant that had them, and honestly I wasn’t impressed. But we all have different tastes.
Al

I have spent some time in the UK and I bangers and mash doesn't do much for me as a lunch or dinner. A Full English is a great way to start the day, though.

Count me in the group that is not impressed with bangers and mash, too....

Edit to say that it's assuredly my American taste buds and my idea of what sausage should taste like....

Last edited:
Woah. Just looked up bangers and mash and didn't know there was a carmelized onion gravy. That sounds delicious to me but maybe it's served on the bland side. Maybe like "warm" beer. Easy enough to fix...

I am still trying wrap my mind around them eating baked beans for breakfast. :emoji_laughing: Reminds me of the time I found out that weisswurst is breakfast sausage. Sounded weird at first but not at all anymore.

When I've had bangers and mash it was good I'm quite sure there was no bread crumbs in the bangers

Banger trivia.

You know why they call em bangers?

No searches....guess

Banger trivia.

You know why they call em bangers?

No searches....guess
I asked why they are called "bangers" on the Brit ship and was told simply, "they bang (pop) when cooked".

Sam's zwiller zwiller link he posted tells the story.
The sausages are so full of filler that it rapidly expands when cooked and thus the "bang" when it splits the casing. Only the cook experiences the bang.

The eaters are left with what I describe as a cheap hot dog.

I admit I didn't know the origin of the name. It's kinda funny to me as I heard germans throw away sausages that burst.

Older thread, but look what I found in local Publix

IMG_2848.JPG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky