End of an Era

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Packin......I'm fifth generation my self. My Great-great grandparents homesteaded north of Havre, and my great uncle ran the ranch up until 10 years ago when he decided it was enough. He had quit running cattle about 5 years before that, and just stuck to dry farming (you want to talk about a tough way to make a living). The weekend that the auction company sold everything on the ranch and we moved my uncle to town was tough on all of us. Stay tough.

Damm shame, that.

I thought the day I left the farm/Orchard/ranch we lived on, 19 dairy cows and 60 beef cows to get a real job that paid real money and not just promises was the happiest day of my life. I vowed I'd never go back. I was 17 and hated the place or thought I did anyway. Big city, big money that was the life for me. 4 Years later I was back on the farm but I couldn't support a new family on a farmhands pay so back to the big city I went.

I Lucked out when I joined the Canadian coast guard which was a wonderful job for 14 years It helped take the sting out of not being on the farm. I loved the Ocean and the life but the land keeps tugging on me.

It has always been a shame that the people who do all the work to feed the rest of us get the least money back for their effort.

I sure hope things turn around and one day you get back to the land.

When all those foreign countrys deplete their el cheapo seafood stocks perhaps the prices will rise and the US shrimpers and others will once again be able to ply their trade for a decent wage.

it's a shame that most of the industries that involved good honest people that worked hard are no longer a feasible way of life any more.........that is what made this country great.

mulepackin, I'm sorry to hear that and all the other stories like it.

I have an idea, I don't know if it would work, but maybe it's worth trying. America was founded on Godly principles and God blessed America, how about using His principle of 'it's better to give than receive,' raise your cattle and give them away to tax deductible Christian charities that feed the poor and homeless, God might bless you and maybe the deductions would offset the expenses and you could survive until things turn around. We Americans are know for our ingenuity and tenacity, this could help everyone involved, the feed man, the vet, the slaughter house, use what we have to work with and turn it around in our favor, ...like I said it's just and idea.

Joel 2:28 ...your old men shall dream dreams,

Gene

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky