ECA

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cstallings

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
Arkansas
I've heard ECA can not be put in the meat until you are almost ready to smoke it.  I was about to add this seasoning to my meat when I noticed it has citric acid in it.  I'm not smoking the meat right now...it will probably early Saturday morning before I do.  Is this the same ECA that can give your meat a funky taste if it stays in too long?  Thanks!

cstallings, evening...... I do not see any cure in that mix..... are you adding cure# 1 to the mix ??  What type of sausage are you making ?? And what temp, time are you planning to smoke it at ???  

No cure in this mix...I'm using Morton TC. 

120 to dry it for an hour then I'll smoke at 140 for a few hours and gradually turn it up but no higher than about 170 until IT 152 or slightly higher.  I'm trying my luck out with Venison Sausage with some high temp cheese.

The pack says "citric acid"..... Not sure if it is ECA, encapsulated citric acid or not....   Add the mix at the very end, mix by hand or the

Quote nepas.........

The collagen holding the ECA broke which made the ECA start to work. Thats why you got white mushy meat.

Never auger even without the blade and plate. If your using a KA use the dough hook and bowl to mix in the ECA.

Then stuff using a vertical stuffer.....   Dave

It's such a tiny amount (0.09% citric acid in a mix used 4.14 oz. per 25 lb. of meat) of citric acid that it's not going to be noticeable.
It's just being used as an antioxidant, to protect freshness.
It's not anywhere close to the amount where the acid can denature the proteins in the meat and screw up the bind, which is why ECA should only be used as directed.
You don't have to do anything special to accommodate it.

HTH

~Martin

Last edited:
Reactions: daveomak
Thank you Martin for setting the record straight.....  It did not dawn on me to look at the concentration.....  Way to go.....   Dave

Getting to the party late but Martin is Correct, the amount Citric acid is there to keep the Spices and flavorings in the mix fresh and will have no effect on the finished sausage...JJ

Thanks for all the responses.  I cured it and mixed the spices last night. The wife's KA mixer worked better than I thought it would, although I had to use a larger bowl than what came with the mixer.  It's sitting in the fridge right now and I will probably stuff it tonight and smoke it Saturday morning.  I guess that is long enough for the cure and spices to sit??

I read that the OP was using TC. If using cure...would you use #1 or cure #2???? I would think 2, but I'm a newb. Edumacte me please.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky