Easy Lunch Meat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KBFlyer

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Mar 7, 2018
Ontario Canada
I purchased one of those cheep ham presses from Amazon. The one I bought was $39.99 Canadian. Made of High Quality Stainless steel with capacity of 1.5 L or about 2 lb of meat. It is a form of the press for making ham, rolls and other homemade delicacies.
So I thought why not try and make a fast and dirty Lebanon Bologna. Found a recipe in one of my books and went and bought 1 KG of ground hamburger from the store. Should have bought extra lean. Not big deal though. Got the meat all mixed up with the spices and cure #1. I also added fermento to the mix to give it a little tang since it does not have any starter cultures added to it. Vac sealed the meat and let it sit in the fridge for 3 days. On the 3rd day you could see the meat getting a much darker red telling me the cure was working. So I set up my home made sous vide machine. Get the temp of the water up to 180F. Got the press out and the meat from the fridge and hand stuffed it into the ham press. Slide in the spring loaded top and fastened the lid. Just twists on, spring top holds the meat down with enough pressure to form the meat.
Pictures of the process:
4WnGIqA.jpg

acppSMG.jpg

dAvTWy0.jpg

sIHJQ97.jpg

8Yhjk8D.jpg

Final IT of 170 F
LUuPou5.jpg

Chilling in the sink with cold water
CG9gw2Z.jpg

Gelled grease on top, reason I said should have bought extra lean. But it clean up real easy.
c2UczOd.jpg

First cut:
l4wQxy7.jpg

Taste was close to the Lebanon Bologna that I made the traditional what years ago but only close. Missing the smoke flavor for sure. Still it turned out way better then I thought it would. Went down pretty good with some cheese.
Lunch meat that I know what went into it :)
JGDEZ9N.jpg

I got one of those presses for Christmas and have yet to use it. Recipes dedicated to using them are few and far between. Gotta get off my behind and give it a shot.
Thanks for the tip on the extra lean. I normally avoid that stuff like the plague. (made burgers from it ONCE and took half a pitcher of tea to get the dang thing down).

Reactions: KBFlyer
I got one of those presses for Christmas and have yet to use it. Recipes dedicated to using them are few and far between. Gotta get off my behind and give it a shot.
Thanks for the tip on the extra lean. I normally avoid that stuff like the plague. (made burgers from it ONCE and took half a pitcher of tea to get the dang thing down).
Here is a recipe that was posted on the Sausage Debauchery facebook page.
Recipe for 1kg.
Pork shoulder, 20-25% fat
Salt, 15g
Cure #1, 2g
White pepper, finely ground, 2g
Black pepper, coarsely ground or cracked, 4g
Paprika, 1g
Coriander, 1g
Caraway, 0.5
White mustard seeds, 4g
Garlic powder, 2g
Potato starch, 20g
100ml ice water
1. Cube meat, add the salts, mix well pack tightly into a plastic container cover and cure in fridge for 24-48 hours.
Grind the meat through the 4.5mm plate
3. Add the spices, gradually pour the iced water to the meat, mixing well until a ball of farce sticks to your hand.
4. Tightly pack the farce into a meat press, leaving a 4cm space on top. Alternatively you can use a water proof 60-75mm casing.
5. Poach at a temp of 80C until an internal temp of 70C. A sous vide circulator will work well. If using a meat press, the water should be 2.5cm above the meat line, but not reaching to the top.
6. Once the 70C temperature shows on the thermometer, chill in cold water for 15-20 minutes and transfer into the fridge for 8-10 hours.

Also you can convert many of the luncheon meat recipes from here.

Reactions: carnivore guy
Now that is pretty slick. I am duly impressed. Very creative from start (sous vide) to finish (the meal roll). The creativity of the people in this forum never ceases to amaze me.

Robert

That looks great . The lunch meat type stuff is what I enjoy making the most .
I see potato starch in your recipe . In my opinion that's a key ingredient for doing this .
I don't have a press , but use high barrier water proof casings or an old plastic butter tub as a mold .
Nice work on that .

That is really cool! Has a lot of possibilities!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky