duck snack sticks.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

stormflorida

Original poster
Jan 4, 2020
Hey all. I have been wanting to make snack sticks for a while now, and recently bought the equipment needed. anyone have any tips? I'm planning to use Waltons cajun but don't know about cook times, or fat content. I also wanted to know if using beef fat or pork fat is preferred and why? I just made some cranberry ginger chicken snack sticks, and they were okay, super lean and didn't have the proper consistency (basically a hot dog.) Thanks in advance for any help.

Storm,
Snack sticks are usually smoked to an IT of 160*F. As far as time I personally run the smoker at 140* for an hour no smoke, then bump to 150* with smoke for an hour then bump to 160* for an hour and then 175* until I get to IT of 160*.
Fat content usually 25-30%. I always use pork fat because beef fat is yellow and foul tasting.
Get picture and share with us!
Teddy

I did a big pile of elk snack sticks and used pork back fat because it's what I had. I can't tell a lot of difference between beef or pork fat, but keep it frozen to ice cold going through the grinder. I go 23% fat to meat for snack sticks and for duck you might consider bacon as it brings a nice everything to it.

Here's a pile of new friend makers. I cut everything to 4 inches vs pinching/tying and the small bits are the ends or where they were pinched from hanging.
20191129_080207.jpg

I did a big pile of elk snack sticks and used pork back fat because it's what I had. I can't tell a lot of difference between beef or pork fat, but keep it frozen to ice cold going through the grinder. I go 23% fat to meat for snack sticks and for duck you might consider bacon as it brings a nice everything to it.

Here's a pile of new friend makers. I cut everything to 4 inches vs pinching/tying and the small bits are the ends or where they were pinched from hanging.
View attachment 427420
If I was to use bacon, what ratio should I use? BTW those sticks look awesome.

Storm,
Snack sticks are usually smoked to an IT of 160*F. As far as time I personally run the smoker at 140* for an hour no smoke, then bump to 150* with smoke for an hour then bump to 160* for an hour and then 175* until I get to IT of 160*.
Fat content usually 25-30%. I always use pork fat because beef fat is yellow and foul tasting.
Get picture and share with us!
Teddy
is there any good use for beef fat? sausage maybe or should I only use it for burger meat.

If I was to use bacon, what ratio should I use? BTW those sticks look awesome.
I'd go 25% max and get the fattiest packs you can. I have gone higher, but for SS I've found too much and they get soft or spongy which might just be in my head. Too lean and they crumble.

I agree with Pit of Despair on cook methods and temperatures. Going to 160 drys them out for better texture in my opinion.

Reactions: stormflorida
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky