Dry aging question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ringer

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 10, 2019
Chickamauga, GA
Is it OK to thaw a frozen piece of meat for aging in a umai bag ?

I have a frozen rib roast that I was considering using as my trial run.

Are the bags large enough for the average 4 bone roast?

Is it OK to thaw a frozen piece of meat for aging in a umai bag ?

Yes. You can certainly do that.

I have a frozen rib roast that I was considering using as my trial run.

No issues at all. I'd recommend using the biggest chunk of meat you can lay hands on. By the time it finishes dry aging there is considerable loss trimming the hardened meat from the outside.

Are the bags large enough for the average 4 bone roast?

The bags are available in many sizes so yes, you can get ones that will work. You really don't need one though. Just put it on a rack in the bottom of the fridge and let it go. Make sure that the bottom of the roast is not sitting on the shelf though. It needs to be elevated with air underneath of it or the meal will rot.

Robert

I did not know that you could do it without the bags that is good to know.

I was looking at the wraps through Home Depot. Pretty good price and suppose to be just as good. I going to have to suck it up and buy a Rib Roast to try this. Be another year before have a sale again.

I did not know that you could do it without the bags that is good to know.

I've done several dry aged roasts. The last one was a full 7 bone 107 cut rib roast. I just put it on a bread cooling rack on the bottom shelf of the fridge and left it there for 90 days. Was a lot of waste due to trimming but it was fantastic.

Robert

Some on correct me if I am wrong but the bags keep oxygen out and lets moisture out so you would get less waste. You vac seal the bags to remove all the air.

Reactions: TNJAKE
Some on correct me if I am wrong but the bags keep oxygen out and lets moisture out so you would get less waste. You vac seal the bags to remove all the air.
That's how I read it.

From the UMAi website:
"The material forms a bond with the proteins on the surface of the meat allowing moisture release and oxygen exchange while blocking odors and contamination.

It's okay to have a few air pockets. UMAi Dry® is not a vacuum bag: it’s a membrane that allows for both oxygen and moisture exchange. It works by creating a bond with the sticky, protein-coated meat surface. If at least 75-80% of the meat is touching the bag, you are good to go!"

That is correct Adam.
I have done dry aged roasts, both in UMai bags, and just exposed to air on a cooling rack. The flavor is about the same, but the waste is much higher if you dry the meat without the bag. And they make a bag that will hold a full 7 bone roast.
Al

You are absolutely correct Adm. You can dry age without them if you're lacking the bags and vac sealer but the bags do make a cleaner and more efficient process.

Robert

Talking about vac sealer - this is where I am sill not confident - can I use any vac sealer for UMAI bags or it should be one specific sealer

Any vac sealer will work. If the bags needed are wider than the bar on your vac seal machine, the bags come with specific instructions on how to do it and make it work...and it does work. I believe uMAI will try to sell you one of their machines but it's not needed.

Robert

Talking about vac sealer - this is where I am sill not confident - can I use any vac sealer for UMAI bags or it should be one specific sealer (let's say from UMAI) ? I would appreciate if someone can shed light on this for me....
Robert and I were typing at the same time, but as he said, any vacuum sealer will work. Just know that you WILL NOT get a seal with the UMAi bags like you would with vacuum seal bags. The UMAi bags are permeable so they won't completely suck down to the meat, but it's ok...

Reactions: pushok2018
Any vac sealer will work. If the bags needed are wider than the bar on your vac seal machine, the bags come with specific instructions on how to do it and make it work...and it does work. I believe uMAI will try to sell you one of their machines but it's not needed.
Robert and I were typing at the same time, but as he said, any vacuum sealer will work. Just know that you WILL NOT get a seal with the UMAi bags like you would with vacuum seal bags. The UMAi bags are permeable so they won't completely suck down to the meat, but it's ok...
Thank you, Robert and Charles! I appreciate your input.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky