Dried Beef Step by Step (Great Stuff)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Did this batch awhile ago . Came out great . Good recipe for sure .
dried beef.jpg

Reactions: Steve H
Tomorrow is day 14. Taking them out for a quick rinse and let sit in the fridge till Saturday. Then after there done, they'll hang in the fridge until I get back from Ohio next Friday.

P5030568.jpg

Tomorrow is day 14. Taking them out for a quick rinse and let sit in the fridge till Saturday. Then after there done, they'll hang in the fridge until I get back from Ohio next Friday.

Sounds Good, but you might want to put them in a ZipLock Bag after smoking, because a Week in the kitchen fridge could produce a lot of Beautiful Smoke smells that most Women are opposed to.

Bear

Reactions: gary s and Steve H
Sounds Good, but you might want to put them in a ZipLock Bag after smoking, because a Week in the kitchen fridge could produce a lot of Beautiful Smoke smells that most Women are opposed to.

Bear

I didn't think about that. Good call, the wife would not be pleased to say the least! I was going to let them hang to dry more. I will probably go longer with higher heat then. Then chill/bag/freeze.

I didn't think about that. Good call, the wife would not be pleased to say the least! I was going to let them hang to dry more. I will probably go longer with higher heat then. Then chill/bag/freeze.

If you want it to get more Dry, just do it longer, but I wouldn't take the heat above 160°.

Bear

If you want it to get more Dry, just do it longer, but I wouldn't take the heat above 160°.

Bear

I make mine alot drier. 12 hours in the smoker then into the oven. Max temp is 130, takes about 30 hours total.

I make mine alot drier. 12 hours in the smoker then into the oven. Max temp is 130, takes about 30 hours total.

Yup---If he just wants it Drier, Anywhere around there, 130° to 160°, but no higher than 160°.

Bear

Ok, no higher then 160 IT. Last night I took the meat out. And rinsed it off. Then cut one in half a sliced a piece for the taste test. It was a good thing I wasn't hungry or I would have cooked more. The flavor was incredible!
I screwed up last night and set my alarm. I didn't have work today. It is pretty rare I get a whole weekend off. So, I got the meat going at 4am. It has been in the smoker with apple pellets for almost 1.5 hours now. At two hours I'm pulling the smoke. I don't want it too smoky for what I'm going to use most of it for.
The meat looks like it got the cure all the way through. This should be awesome when done.

P5040569.jpg
P5040570.jpg

Ok, no higher then 160 IT. Last night I took the meat out. And rinsed it off. Then cut one in half a sliced a piece for the taste test. It was a good thing I wasn't hungry or I would have cooked more. The flavor was incredible!
I screwed up last night and set my alarm. I didn't have work today. It is pretty rare I get a whole weekend off. So, I got the meat going at 4am. It has been in the smoker with apple pellets for almost 1.5 hours now. At two hours I'm pulling the smoke. I don't want it too smoky for what I'm going to use most of it for.
The meat looks like it got the cure all the way through. This should be awesome when done.

That shot of the inside is exactly what it's supposed to look like!!!
Beautiful!!
I wouldn't worry about it getting too smoky, as long as you keep it a light to medium smoke density, and avoid smoke that you can't see through. The pieces are thick enough that a little smoky on the outside will make up for very little on the inside. If you're worried about it, you can always trim off the outside. It makes the best Jerky you ever had. Sometimes I trim the outside of my Dried Beef & give it to Bear Jr. He goes nuts over it !!
You won't believe how good this stuff is!!!

Bear

That shot of the inside is exactly what it's supposed to look like!!!
Beautiful!!
I wouldn't worry about it getting too smoky, as long as you keep it a light to medium smoke density, and avoid smoke that you can't see through. The pieces are thick enough that a little smoky on the outside will make up for very little on the inside. If you're worried about it, you can always trim off the outside. It makes the best Jerky you ever had. Sometimes I trim the outside of my Dried Beef & give it to Bear Jr. He goes nuts over it !!
You won't believe how good this stuff is!!!

Bear

Ok, I'll put the tray back in for a bit longer. I'm 5 hours in, IT at 153. I think it is looking good. I took a quick peak.

da meat.jpg

Ok, I'll put the tray back in for a bit longer. I'm 5 hours in, IT at 153. I think it is looking good. I took a quick peak.

Yup---Keep it going.
Mark my words---"You won't believe how good this stuff is!!" When sliced nice & Thin.
The Bear would never steer you wrong. :D

Bear

Don't be in a hurry , let it ride for awhile . Keep it under 160 and add some smoke . You have enough meat , you could always pull some , add smoke and go longer on a hunk .

Just short of 12 hours later I pulled the beef from the smoker. After bringing it up slowly for drying for 3 hours. I let it go for 9 hours at 155 to 160 degrees. Total smoke time was 3.5 hours using apple pellets in my 5x7 A-MAZE-N tray. Then I brought them back to the kitchen. I then gave them a rinse and let them cool to 100 degrees. Then I had a piece. And, all I can say is WOW!!!!! This is the best dried beef I've ever had. I will be having a big dish of creamed beef next weekend. Thank you very much Bear for posting your recipe. It rocks!

20180505_145743.jpg
20180505_150123.jpg

Looks Great, Steve!!:)
Now wrap it & fridge it for a day or two, or more.
Then freezer for about 3 to 4 hours before slicing it, if you're using a meat slicer.
Slice as thin as you can.

Enjoy!!
Bear

Looks Great, Steve!!:)
Now wrap it & fridge it for a day or two, or more.
Then freezer for about 3 to 4 hours before slicing it, if you're using a meat slicer.
Slice as thin as you can.

Enjoy!!
Bear

Thanks! I vac sealed it and put it in the fridge until I get back next Friday. Then I'll freeze for a few hours. And slice it thin with my meat slicer.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky