Dried Beef Step by Step (Great Stuff)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
What is the center of this?? Looks like a grayish color and only in center of 2 inches. (Noticed while slicing)

This was my picture cut in half also after curing it and fry testing

Attachments

• E64EE023-0CAA-4A7F-B0FF-87A5893392FA.jpeg
    E64EE023-0CAA-4A7F-B0FF-87A5893392FA.jpeg
    140.6 KB · Views: 26
  • B781DB0F-F0C2-4458-9826-E3E146BC3963.jpeg
    B781DB0F-F0C2-4458-9826-E3E146BC3963.jpeg
    110.4 KB · Views: 26
Dont look like it cured the whole way. It was close thou

What is the center of this?? Looks like a grayish color and only in center of 2 inches. (Noticed while slicing)

This was my picture cut in half also after curing it and fry testing

Well, if that was mine, I'd smoke it hot, and get it through the Danger Zone (40° to 140°) in less than 4 hours. Then cut the heat back to 160° & smoke it a few more hours.

Bear

Love this recipe!

Tried it for the first time in early November.

4 eye roasts totaling 9 pounds were cured for 14 days, then cold smoked for 12 hours with hickory.

They are about to go into the oven in about 30 minutes.

Love this recipe!

Tried it for the first time in early November.

4 eye roasts totaling 9 pounds were cured for 14 days, then cold smoked for 12 hours with hickory.

They are about to go into the oven in about 30 minutes.

Sounds Great, Bill !!
Glad you like it !

Bear

Sure do!
Internal temp at 91 degrees F.
More than half way there.

Now you're making me hungry for a Dried Beef & American Cheese on Fresh white bread with Horsey Sauce!!!
My All-Time favorite cold Sammy!!

Bear

Now you're making me hungry for a Dried Beef & American Cheese on Fresh white bread with Horsey Sauce!!!
My All-Time favorite cold Sammy!!

Bear
Last batch I made sandwiches on seeded rye, mayo and thinly sliced onion.

Can't wait for this batch. 131 degrees......

When you are curing the meat in the fridge do you keep pouring the juice out of the bag or just let it in the whole time?

When you are curing the meat in the fridge do you keep pouring the juice out of the bag or just let it in the whole time?

Leave the liquid in the Bag:
That's why we do it in a bag, so the liquid accumulates & stays next to the meat.
It is that liquid that transports the liquified ingredients into the meat.
Cure, Sugar, and Salt can't travel through meat in a dry form---They must be in liquid form.
And the reason we flip the package every day is because only the bottom of the meat laying in the package absorbs juices, so we flip every day, so both sides get their share.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky