Double Smoked Ham and Cheese Salad

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Finally got around to this project I've been planning for awhile. Back around Easter I grabbed some Kroger spiral sliced hams for $0.99 / lbs. I smoked them in the Lang with cherry , cut off the bone and vacuum packed for the freezer. I'm not big on those slices for sandwiches but love ham salad. Broke out my KitchenAid grinder attachment finally after a couple years.
PXL_20230913_164559294.jpg
Made short work of 8 lbs partially thawed slices. I have new in box larger grinder in the toy cupboard I'll use next time as it will feed even faster.
PXL_20230913_164602639.jpg
To make this my own unique salad I ground a quart of my own sugar free bread and butter mustard pickles into relish.
PXL_20230913_171904149.jpg
Diced up a huge locally grown candy onion. These are so sweet you can eat big bites. Amazing onions!
PXL_20230913_171900702.jpg
Finishing up was roughly 1 1/2 jars mayo, all the relish plus 1/2 cup of my pickle brine, 1 bunch of celery fairly finely chopped and 2 or so lbs of shredded cheddar. Garnished with a little more cheese and chives which is also how I garnish my to go containers. This stuff is silly good! Yield is about 12 lbs. I have a local core group who often buy from me so sold 5 lbs. Several pounds will be gifted to friends and family and yours truly will murder th rest lol. Had some for lunch on zero carb street taco wraps with some nice Cabot seriously sharp white cheddar.
1000005294-01~4.jpeg
. After that quick lunch break back at it. Peck of green beans I grabbed for $6 at the local Mennonite market.
PXL_20230914_145324827.jpg
Stemmed and into the 17" Lodge along with create some Minors chicken stock.
PXL_20230914_154827322.MP.jpg
PXL_20230914_154519087.jpg
Covered this with foil to cook down while whipping up a pound of bacon and again some of that awesome candy onion.
PXL_20230914_161159084.jpg
Once the beans settled down into the pan mixed the two together. I cook this down adding broth repeatedly for a couple hours or so with nice dark color to the beans. Spice wise very simple with salt, peppers and some good old MSG.
PXL_20230914_164223703.jpg
1000005319-01.jpeg
All done and cooling off. I sold a few containers of these too as I have several who have asked me to call everytime I make these. Just helps pay for my cooking hobbies and lower my own food cost :) Thanks for looking!! I'm off to stem, halve and vacuum pack a bushel of red habanero now.

Last edited:
A fine piece of work Jeff, looks great. Have a ten pound 99¢ lb Kroger ham I'll be smoking on my Weber this weekend. I stay away from the pre-sliced hams, like them for dinner with beans and tater salad, sugar free slaw too. Been using smokin smokin Al's dressing recipe for some time now, replace the sugar with Splenda, works perfect. RAY

Looks great Jeff, I always save some of our double smoked ham for salad. I've never even given cheese a thought prior to your post. That will change on my next batch. Thanks in advance.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: jcam222
0 no
Love ham salad. Have some in the fridge now. I have not thought of adding cheese...hmm.
I used pretty average pre shredded cheese in this. It's really good if you shred in some good extra sharp white!
A fine piece of work Jeff, looks great. Have a ten pound 99¢ lb Kroger ham I'll be smoking on my Weber this weekend. I stay away from the pre-sliced hams, like them for dinner with beans and tater salad, sugar free slaw too. Been using smokin smokin Al's dressing recipe for some time now, replace the sugar with Splenda, works perfect. RAY
I am on the lookout for $0.99 ham now. Want to get at least a half dozen smoked and frozen. People went bonkers for the ham salad. I could have sold it all lol. I had to cut it off so I have a couple lbs left.
Haven't had ham salad in decades, egg salad either.
The Ham Salad and the beans look awesome!
Enjoy seeing your posts. :emoji_thumbsup:
Love egg salad too! Been a long time for me as well because I HATE peeling eggs despite the million methods posted lol
Looks great Jeff, I always save some of our double smoked ham for salad. I've never even given cheese a thought prior to your post. That will change on my next batch. Thanks in advance.

Point for sure
Chris
Fire up some Cabot seriously sharp in it!! Tasty

Reactions: 02ebz06
Holy cow man! That ham salad looks great. I could eat a pound of that with some ritz crackers by myself. And then you gotta top it with the green beans. I’d keep you in business if I was a neighbor.

Jim

Holy cow man! That ham salad looks great. I could eat a pound of that with some ritz crackers by myself. And then you gotta top it with the green beans. I’d keep you in business if I was a neighbor.

Jim
Jim I honestly have a hard time not eating a pound in a sitting lol. I had two lbs left for myself and 2 lbs packed for an order. She just cancelled and I have another guy who wanted two lbs but may just keep it lol.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JLeonard
Man that sounds good Jeff. Those beans look righteous! I got a ham to cook tomorrow. Thinking of being lazy and just bake it. I love getting the juice for my beans. I probably just give most of it away.

Man that sounds good Jeff. Those beans look righteous! I got a ham to cook tomorrow. Thinking of being lazy and just bake it. I love getting the juice for my beans. I probably just give most of it away.
Thanks Brian! Just polished off some of the chan sales for lunch on zero carb street taco wraps.

That looks excellent Jeff. I know that tastes amazing.
This reminds me, when I was growing up we wasted very little. We were farm raised and always had a whole beef in the freezer. Lots of really unwanted roasts in there that just had to be ate. But many of them were just horribly dry and not that good to eat.
So my dad would let that leftover roast site a couple days in the fridge then he would pull it out cut it up and grind it along with block cheese (usually Longhorn Colby) boiled eggs, and dill pickles, onion and garlic. Then he would mix that with mayo and mustard to a pate consistency and we would eat that as sandwich spread. Some of the best sandwiches of my life, especially with roasted green Chile in there maybe even some tomato.

That looks excellent Jeff. I know that tastes amazing.
This reminds me, when I was growing up we wasted very little. We were farm raised and always had a whole beef in the freezer. Lots of really unwanted roasts in there that just had to be ate. But many of them were just horribly dry and not that good to eat.
So my dad would let that leftover roast site a couple days in the fridge then he would pull it out cut it up and grind it along with block cheese (usually Longhorn Colby) boiled eggs, and dill pickles, onion and garlic. Then he would mix that with mayo and mustard to a pate consistency and we would eat that as sandwich spread. Some of the best sandwiches of my life, especially with roasted green Chile in there maybe even some tomato.
Man I'm adding a beef salad like that to my list. I'll bet that is super tasty!

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Man I'm adding a beef salad like that to my list. I'll bet that is super tasty!
It is, and you can make your own add ins. Less meat fat is better, but this works with ham, chicken, pork, lamb you name it. We even fried some Pattie’s of this but I usually prefer the cold spread.

Am I the only guy here that his wife rolls her eye everytime I come home with a ham?:emoji_grin:
She eats beef and chicken only for meats. Irish people, they haven't even invented a spice they like. AmIrite?:emoji_grinning:
And a potato is not a main course...:emoji_stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky