Do spare ribs stall?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smkryng

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 14, 2017
I’m doing my first ever 2 racks of spare ribs trimmed St. Louis style. They seemed to be going really quickly at first. Hour and a half in I was at 171, now at the 2 hour mark I’m at 165. Is this normal or do I have a problem?

You really can't get an accurate temp on ribs. The bones are to close together. I know this will not be a popular statement here...but it is true.
Yes it is possible for the temp to change. All meat sweats..hence the stall.
Anyway go for looks and feels with your ribs. Get a nice color on the outside and then check for flexibility.

Reactions: Smkryng and briggy
Mine are in the stall right now...depends on a few things, but the stall can last an 60-90 minutes or so - but I smoke mine unwrapped all the way through. Some will wrap their ribs in foil when in the stall to speed things up.

Reactions: Smkryng
They can stall, not abnormal. Not sure if you are wrapping on this one or not. I tend not to cook ribs to temp, just look for pull back and do a bend test.

Reactions: Smkryng
You really can't get an accurate temp on ribs. The bones are to close together. I know this will not be a popular statement here...but it is true.
Yes it is possible for the temp to change. All meat sweats..hence the stall.
Anyway go for looks and feels with your ribs. Get a nice color on the outside and then check for flexibility.

Mine are in the stall right now...depends on a few things, but the stall can last an 60-90 minutes or so - but I smoke mine unwrapped all the way through. Some will wrap their ribs in foil when in the stall to speed things up.
Thanks for the quick reply! I wasn’t sure if I needed to panic or not lol. Definitely feeling confident about it now.

Reactions: joedube70
They can stall, not abnormal. Not sure if you are wrapping on this one or not. I tend not to cook ribs to temp, just look for pull back and do a bend test.
I wasn’t planning on wrapping them as time isn’t really an issue for me today. Besides I find I usually have better luck when I just leave stuff alone.

Reactions: uncle eddie
EACAEF2F-3C0C-4730-9B29-0BFD534E4BBD.jpeg
So how did the ribs turn out?
Al
Al, they were a hit. I made a post in pork about them but here’s a pic. Cooked to 190 IT and they were pretty much perfect. I think cooking ribs to temp is the way to go. You’re definitely onto something there.

View attachment 369580

Al, they were a hit. I made a post in pork about them but here’s a pic. Cooked to 190 IT and they were pretty much perfect. I think cooking ribs to temp is the way to go. You’re definitely onto something there.

Glad to hear they turned out good for you!
They sure look good!!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky