Do I have a safety issue here????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rings44

Original poster
Hey everybody,

I just completed a bunch of mods for my Brinkmann ECB and one of them was to drill holes in the rim of the charcoal pan and use 1ft. threaded rods with washers and nuts to be legs for the charcoal pan.

After doing some more research, the website that suggested this technique for the charcoal pan stated that the rods should be stainless steel and not galvanized.

I called Lowes and they told me they were zinc.

Is this going to create problems? I have heard things about toxic smoke or something from using rods that aren't stainless steel.

HELP!

Now they said it best SEE YA rods and get the stainless believe it's better then a day on the porcelain thrown using one end or the other.

If you use stainless be sure to put some antiseize on the threads where the nuts go. That stuff galls like crazy and it seizes up so hard you twist it off trying to the nut to free up.

If it were me, I'd probably get some pipe nipples the length needed made out of 1/2" black pipe. You should be able to find nipples in lengths all the way up to 12". Black pipe is plain non galvanized steel pipe as building codes in many places still require it to be used for gas lines.

Look around in your local yellow pages under hardware stores and call around. Usually some of the smaller more specialized stores will carry a much better selection of rods, and fasteners than the big box stores.

Put me in your will
icon_rolleyes.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky