Diy electric smoker build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
It has 2 problems, I'm using a 1000w coil that I dissected from a hot plate. I can't get the temp above 200. Do I need a stronger coil?

Also during a test run I through some chips in a tin, I think I used to much which was about 4 handfuls. I got so much billowing smoke that my neighbor called the fire department. Lol. Alil help ironing out these details ould be great. I'm a newb to this but willing to learn.

Buy a hot water tank blanket and cut a few panels to fit.. use some Velcro to keep the panels tight. Cut a place for the temp gauge and the door. Use a big cast iron pan on the element and it should give a big hot surface area for heat and chips. I think lol [emoji]129299[/emoji] those vents on top look good.. is it to much vent?

Last edited:
It has 2 problems, I'm using a 1000w coil that I dissected from a hot plate. I can't get the temp above 200. Do I need a stronger coil?

Also during a test run I through some chips in a tin, I think I used to much which was about 4 handfuls. I got so much billowing smoke that my neighbor called the fire department. Lol. Alil help ironing out these details ould be great. I'm a newb to this but willing to learn.

you'll do it.. . They sell 20 gallon cans too..

Last edited:

Hot plates have a thermal limit switch.  If it's still in the assembly, that will shut off when it reaches a certain point (it's a safety device in case the hotplate is used in too confined an area and starts to built up too much heat in the hotplate cabinet.  If you have an absolutely bare heating element from the hotplate (ie, no thermal limiter included), then it's not enough wattage for the air volume you are heating.

Try putting some foil over the tin and poking 1 or 2 small holes in the foil (adjust number of holes to more if needed).  That should give you some control over the amount of smoke.

texas.gif
  Good afternoon and welcome to the forum from a beautiful, hot sunny day here in East Texas, and the best site on the               web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about everything.

Gary

Thanks Gary. Information overload!! Definitely enjoying interaction with the other members. Love the recipes and topics covered on each meat categories.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky