Did I just trash my ham?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DailyLunatic

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 11, 2023
Ban Ko Kaeo, Thailand
My first attempt at a ham. Had a small loin stub and thought I'd try a YouTube recipe I found. Had the thing printed out, excel calculated for my small bit, and... misread the line.

Instead of 0.2g (0.5g/Kg) of Sodium Erythobate, I read the line for Pink Cure and added 1.2g (2.5g/Kg). Didn't realize until the next day.

Have I ruined this? Toss? Fry up and eat now? Let it finish? ...or give to the Soi Dogs that keep killing my ducks?

-sterling

Sodium Erythorbate is a salt of ascorbic acid....and ascorbic acid is vitamin C. At 6X the dosage, it would still be safe to eat. And being that this is a whole muscle and not a mince like sausage, the extra acid from the higher dosage is of no concern for proper binding like it would be in a sausage. You should have a great color....as long as you added the proper amount of cure #1. You did add cure #1 right?

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Sodium Erythorbate is a salt of ascorbic acid....and ascorbic acid is vitamin C. At 6X the dosage, it would still be safe to eat. And being that this is a whole muscle and not a mince like sausage, the extra acid from the higher dosage is of no concern for proper binding like it would be in a sausage. You should have a great color....as long as you added the proper amount of cure #1. You did add cure #1 right?
Correct. Cure was added at correct ratio.

Whew. Oaky, then. Down to waiting. Test in a few weeks.

-sterling

My first attempt at a ham. Had a small loin stub and thought I'd try a YouTube recipe I found. Had the thing printed out, excel calculated for my small bit, and... misread the line.

Instead of 0.2g (0.5g/Kg) of Sodium Erythobate, I read the line for Pink Cure and added 1.2g (2.5g/Kg). Didn't realize until the next day.

Have I ruined this? Toss? Fry up and eat now? Let it finish? ...or give to the Soi Dogs that keep killing my ducks?

-sterling
You haven’t ruined anything. Just stick with the original time plan. Erythorbate is a forgiving ingredient, I use it in most of my regular curing. It’s a preservative that will color fast, help stop rancidity (keeps longer in the freezer) and also is a cure accelerator. Typical application is .05% so it really doesn’t take much but is sometimes hard to measure out because of being so little. I’ll sometimes double the amount on small items just to make it easier to measure and I’ve seen no negative effect.

The process in the video is called equilibrium dry curing. Some use vacuum bags and some of us use zip bags pretty much all the same. Enjoy the cure.

One thing I should have asked earlier is how thick is the piece of loin?
Erythorbate is a cure accelerator and while I have and do successfully dry cure with erythorbate included in the mix, I’m usually not thicker than about 2”. By the time you get up to 3” thick you are pushing the limits of equilibrium dry curing and could run the risk of burning up the nitrite before the cure is complete. I’ve not used erythorbate that thick without injection.

Erythorbate is a cure accelerator and while I have and do successfully dry cure with erythorbate included in the mix, I’m usually not thicker than about 2”. By the time you get up to 3” thick you are pushing the limits of equilibrium dry curing and could run the risk of burning up the nitrite before the cure is complete. I’ve not used erythorbate that thick without injection.
My first thought, too. On a thick piece, the nitrite may be converted before it has time to cure all the way to the center.

Best advice I can give is to cut it in half at the end of your curing time and see if it is cured in the center.

Reactions: DailyLunatic
It's just a small nub end. 450 g or so. Depending how you scrunch it up, could be 1.5", to 2.25".

Bummer to hear that there will be a 3" thickness limitation. Some of the loins I was planning are almost 5". Would have been good for sandwiches.

-sterling

Last edited:
Reactions: SmokinEdge
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky