Deer and Wild Hog Processing Day 2020

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Well, it's that time of year again. This year we have 13 deer and 3 wild hogs so far. Deer season is over, but I may have a couple more hogs given to me after this weekend. A buddy is going to his camp and has been seeing a lot of hogs at his feeders; plans to shoot some and said he'd give them to me. Have not scheduled the big processing day yet, but it will be sometime after this coming Sunday.
I have a new auger tip and nylon washer for my LEM #12 grinder on order so when it comes in I will be sitting on go. Also have a new 30# electric stuffer for this year. Been needing that for a while now.

Roughly 15~25# of venison grind per deer so that's ~260# right there. Probably another 100# of hog grind right now. Add another 100# if I get 3 more. I have an order in for 50# of pork back fat that I get for $0.69/lb.

On deck is the following:
50/50 grind venison and pork
50/50 venison and pork smoke sausage
60/40 venison fresh sausage
60/40 venison fresh green onion sausage
100% venison coarse chili grind
50/50 Venison and pork breakfast sausage

I have been gifted some bratwurst seasoning from a buddy up in Michigan that owns a small boutique butcher and smoke shop. I want to try it with some of the wild hog meat.

I'll talk to the guys and get their orders in then figure out how much seasonings I need to mix up....but it's gonna be a lot....

Oh, I also have 27# of grind from a mule deer doe I shot in Montana this year that I will be processing, but that will be separate from all the whitetail deer we have in the freezers...

Whoa, that sounds too much like having a job! Do you have any help with all that to process? About 15 years back I whacked a buck and a hog on the same day, made a note to myself to never do that again, too much work for me. RAY

That's a lot of freezer space!
No beef blends?
No beef blends on processing day.
A buddy that went on the mule deer trip took his deer to a meat locker in Montana to have it processed for him. They added some beef fat along with pork butt to the meat grind. He cooked some when we made it back to Kansas and it was real good so I am doing the same with my mule deer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fueling Around
That sounds like so much fun, heck let me know if you need any help. I'd be in just to lend a hand a learn a thing or two!

I have 4 large stand up freezers...I don't buy much beef at all. Except for the occasional steak, brisket, and bottom round.
Life goals right there! Waiting for my buddy in TX to make friends with someone down there that wants some doe management done.......and of course hog.

Happy processing! I'm going to go stock your old posts now and drool over your hard work.

Now theres a happy man. I mean who wouldn't be with a stash like that. Hope it all turns out well for you. Waiting for some finish photos.

Warren

Processing Day has been set for February 22nd, 2020. I'll have time to smoke the venison pastrami and 30# of bacon I have curing before processing day...

Here are some of the deer and hogs taken this season...

A small 6 pt. that a 12 year old boy shot, his first buck.

1581011142331.jpeg

One of the feral hogs, a 130# sow...
1581011219340.jpeg

Speaking of round....looky what I found today...
1581132639157.jpeg

I'll trim the fat to grind with my mule deer meat and smoke the roast day before the big day, then put it in the sous vide over night. That will be lunch on processing day.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky