Curvy Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jnorth

Smoke Blower
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 11, 2012
Fairbanks, AK
Does anyone have any tricks on making their sausages lay flatter while smoking (using racks, not hanging)?  My sausage usually  comes out well but is just too curvy to fit in a bun well, both ends stick up out the top.  I just use natural casings from Syracuse Casings, I have noticed the sheep casings I use for hot dogs do not bend as much as the pork casings I use for everything else.

thanks. 

Something to try is also collagen casings - we did these with brats not long ago, have always used natural. Well there is no natural bend so they are straight when smoking, freezing, and eating. I didn't think I would like them but wanted to know how they were. So far pretty impressed! We will be trying them more over the next few camping weekends and will have more on them after they have been in the freezer for a couple of months.

www.sausagemaker.com/26mm-1-Smoked-Collagen-Casings-p/17-1411.htm

That is just the way natural casings are - they tend to curve. The curve and that "snap" when you bite into it is the hallmark of natural casings.

The sheep casings are generally thinner than pork which is why they do not curve as bad.  Store bought hot dogs (unless they are artisan and in natural casings) are straight as an arrow, but they are made in a plastic casing that is pealed off after the emulsion that becomes the hot dog is set during the cooking process. Collagen will lay flat as a board.  However some collagen casings are better than others. If you are going to use collagen, get something from a sausage supply store (such as The Sausagemaker, Butcher & Paker, Waltons, etc...).  The LEM ones you see in Bass Pro, Cabela's and Academy Sports may be local, but there is no telling how long they have been hanging on the rack waiting on someone to buy them.

Oh and if you try collagen, make sure that you buy edible collagen.  They also make inedible collagen casings that are meant to be pealed and disposed of before eating (the inedible are usually the larger sizes for stuff like bologna, but make sure of what you are buying).

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky