Curing Chicken Breast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
Kroger had split breast for 0.99 lb. I picked up 2 big packages. Been a few years and going to cure these. I am thinking Pop's low salt but might consider daveomak daveomak inject method. Either smoke in RecTec with tube or MES40 with dust. Not sure what temp? Anything special I should do for these?

I have done these with Pops brine, but I used boneless skinless & I doubled the cure to 2 tbs, & used the full salt version. 24 hour cure is all you need. If you want to add more flavor just add some Montreal chicken seasoning to the brine. I would cut the salt back a bit if you do that. For us personally we SV them, no sear, eat right out of the bag with all the juices.
Al

I use a lower salt version of Pop's Brine (inject and cover brine) for 3 days, 24 hours of rest time, about 3 hours in the smoker, and 90 minutes at 147° in my sous vide.

1 gallon of water
125 grams canning salt
25 grams white sugar
25 grams brown sugar
20 grams Cure #1 (heaping tablespoon)
3/4 teaspoon black pepper

syFzXTt.jpg

I use a lower salt version of Pop's Brine (inject and cover brine) for 3 days, 24 hours of rest time, about 3 hours in the smoker, and 90 minutes at 147° in my sous vide.

1 gallon of water
125 grams canning salt
25 grams white sugar
25 grams brown sugar
20 grams Cure #1 (heaping tablespoon)
3/4 teaspoon black pepper

View attachment 676879
That is what I did without SV I think. I know I let rest couple days after smoke. Most these will be going to my friends.

Reactions: JLeonard
I found my old post. I went with Pop's low salt and added lemon extract. Not injecting as I going to let this sit for 5 days. That sous vide container works great for brine. Friends never had cured chicken. This should be a treat for them.

20230924_121421.jpg

Last edited:
I have done these with Pops brine, but I used boneless skinless & I doubled the cure to 2 tbs, & used the full salt version. 24 hour cure is all you need. If you want to add more flavor just add some Montreal chicken seasoning to the brine. I would cut the salt back a bit if you do that. For us personally we SV them, no sear, eat right out of the bag with all the juices.
Al
Gosh, seems like a lot of Cure! How many breasts?

This is a brine cure, the original recipe calls for 1 tbs of cure#1 per gallon of water, You could safely use up to 4 tbs per gallon. 2 tbs per gallon is perfectly safe. It does it’s thing in 24 hours. You can put as many breasts in as the container will hold, just make sure they are all submerged.
Al

This is a brine cure, the original recipe calls for 1 tbs of cure#1 per gallon of water, You could safely use up to 4 tbs per gallon. 2 tbs per gallon is perfectly safe. It does it’s thing in 24 hours. You can put as many breasts in as the container will hold, just make sure they are all submerged.
Al
Thanks SmokinAl SmokinAl , so not injected then?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky