Cured Smoked Wild Turkey Breast...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
The turkey breast I had in cure were finally ready to smoke so I pulled them out of the brine Tuesday and put them on a rack in a tray, let them sit in the refrigerator until this morning to let them warm up from the cold refrigerator.
1583443135723.jpeg

Got the smokehouse up and smoking with 50/50 cherry and Hickory chunks, then dialed the heat down to about 150* for 2 hours. I basted the meat with local honey about every 45 minutes.
1583442910704.jpeg

Here is a Qview when I opened the door to baste them and kick the heat up to finish them fast @ 140*INT.
1583436258909.jpeg

And DONE!
1583436268445.jpeg

Back in the fridge after cooling down...will slice later tonight.

Awesome turkey breasts! Beautiful color as well! Love them smoked... I usually use Pop's brine for 5-6 days and smoke them at 225 but don't tie them like you did... Got to try your method of tying them... Waiting for a pick with sliced breast....

Reactions: fivetricks
Awesome turkey breasts! Beautiful color as well! Love them smoked... I usually use Pop's brine for 5-6 days and smoke them at 225 but don't tie them like you did... Got to try your method of tying them... Waiting for a pick with sliced breast....
Thanks pushok2018. The cherry and hickory contribute to the color, along with the honey glaze. Also, cranking up the temp really caramelizes the sugars...
The tying I find really helps keep the meat moist, less surface area than if you lay them flat. Also will hold in more moisture when you crank the heat.

Do you mind if I ask, you say cured. Was that a brine process? I’m very interested in the prep that resulted in a wild turkey that juicy!

Do you mind if I ask, you say cured. Was that a brine process? I’m very interested in the prep that resulted in a wild turkey that juicy!
Yes, it is brined, and cured with cure #1. I use the total weight of both the meat and the water to calculate the amount of cure #1, salt, and brown sugar.

0.25% cure #1
1.4% salt
1% brown sugar.

Water needs to be at least half the weight of the meat at a minimum. Use a cure calculator for number of days in the cure. a cylinder of meat will cure faster than a flat piece like a slab of bacon.....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky