Cured beef grey on outside - does it look okay?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zsmoking

Original poster
Oct 12, 2019
I have had a round roast in Pop's brine for 1 week. Due to the thickness of the roast I had injected the roast with Pop's brine as well. I'm ready to cook it, so I decided to cut it in half to make sure the cure went to the center(which I was confident it would due to injecting and length of time), but the color surprised me. I've attached pictures. Does it look right? The whole outside 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch or so is pale grey, and then the center looks cured. Is it possible the cure didn't penetrate the outside due to fat/silver skin that wasn't trimmed, and it only cured where it was injected in the center? I really appreciate the help!

curedbeef1.png

curedbeef2.png

It doesn't smell off in any way, and was always kept refrigerated. It's on the smoker and I plan on eating it unless I hear otherwise. It won't be in the danger zone over 4 hours, so it shouldn't matter regardless I'm thinking? Here's some not done yet Q view, but I'd still appreciate any insight on why it's grey on the outside and if there are any safety concerns. Rubbed with coriander, paprika, black pepper, garlic powder.

curedbeef3.png

curedbeef4.png

I appreciate the help from everybody! I was pretty sure it was cured all the way, but when I saw the grey around the edges I wanted to make sure it was good since I'm still pretty new to curing. The reassurance that it was good to eat was very helpful. It came out great - it seems like a good way to use a round roast. The bigger piece is still on the smoker and I'll get better pictures when it comes off, but here's a couple pictures including some store bought Kielbasa links I threw on. Once I cut into the cooked meat on the smaller piece it looked as I would have expected.

curedbeef5.png

curedbeef6.png

Some more pictures. Came out great. Made a sandwich inspired by a Reuben but with quarantine ingredients.. didn't want to open the sauerkraut I have so I used pickles, no rye bread but used a hamburger bun out of the freezer, cheddar in place of swiss, etc. Thanks again for the help earlier!

curedbeef7-1.png

curedbeef7-2.png

curedbeef8.png

curedbeef9.png

You see how that grey goes away when cooked. Pink in the center means it went through the outside first to get to middle. Most folks struggle with a brown center.

Some more pictures. Came out great. Made a sandwich inspired by a Reuben but with quarantine ingredients.. didn't want to open the sauerkraut I have so I used pickles, no rye bread but used a hamburger bun out of the freezer, cheddar in place of swiss, etc. Thanks again for the help earlier!

View attachment 441942

View attachment 441943

View attachment 441944

View attachment 441945
That is EXACTLY what we are all here for! NEVER be afraid to ask for guidance on any subject! We have all been there at one time or another! The only wrong answers are the stupid ones! And those will get punished for them!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky