Craving some Japanese Cuisine

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You would like the Japanese grocery in my old part of town

https://tensukemarket.com/

Now the only Asian market near me is northern Burmese Christians, so they have a lot of Thai sauces, pickles, etc.

If we're turning Japanese I think we're turning Japanese I really think so you need to know this movie.

Reactions: ofelles
Wow, that looks so good! That first picture of the chicken looked like a dream! I kept rubbing my eyes to see why it was blurry on the outside.
D977BB72-0096-4CDB-B296-42838557265B.gif

If I ate that, I’d be rubbing my tummy!!

Oh My!!
A lot of good looking stuff, right there!!
And ever since I had the best Teriyaki Glaze in my life, 50 years ago, in Honolulu, I've been trying to match it. Still haven't gotten there yet.
Nice Work, John!!
Like.

Bear
Thank you John, I love putting it together.
The best I've ever had was in a tiny little Teriyaki Shop somewhere in the greater Seattle area.
I was driving long haul back then and saw this shack with a line out the door, that always spells "EAT HERE!"
All they did was Chicken or Beef Teriyaki, rice and 3-4 sides, it was damn near food nirvana.
Like you I've never found it's equal... LOL, probably commercially made and shipped in 5gal buckets.

Last edited:
DING! DING! Round Two!

Pork Tonkatsu, with homemade Tonkatsu sauce
Japanese Vegetable Curry
Sunomono, Cucumber Salad
Romaine topped with homemade Ginger dressing
Rice

Pork Tonkatsu, with homemade Tonkatsu sauce
Half a pork loin cut into 1/4" cutlets.
Dredged in flour, egg and Panko, then chilled to set the Panko.
Deep fried at 325° till a nice golden brown.
Salted before the grease stops dripping.

6GhvM9Q.jpg

CWv93rO.jpg

Curry with Vegetables
I cheat and use S&B Golden Curry sauce, I like the Medium Hot or Hot
Parboil chopped carrots, potatoes and onion till just tender, then add to curry and simmer for 15-20 minutes
Serve over pork, chicken or beef

Yu4UHrW.jpg

PY1VPmY.jpg

The Money Shot

dDlOsyh.jpg

zVwgh9W.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: gmc2003
You would like the Japanese grocery in my old part of town

https://tensukemarket.com/

Now the only Asian market near me is northern Burmese Christians, so they have a lot of Thai sauces, pickles, etc.

If we're turning Japanese I think we're turning Japanese I really think so you need to know this movie.

Interesting.

Looks great again, ever try the jaccard on the pork?
Trying that with a fork doesn’t sound like fun.

Looks great again, ever try the jaccard on the pork?
Trying that with a fork doesn’t sound like fun.
The Loin Cutlets cut 1/4" or a little thinner and sliced as served, it cuts easily with a fork.
Thank you.
I only like to to use the jaccard for when I want to get marinade/brine in quickly.

Last edited:
I'm still full after reading and seeing round one. Great Job John.

Point for sure
Chris

In my part of town there is nothing like any kind of Asian grill. I have to do it myself, and I'm thankful for examples like this.

In my part of town there is nothing like any kind of Asian grill. I have to do it myself, and I'm thankful for examples like this.
That makes two of us, I've no noteworthy Asian restaurants in my area either, all mediocre at best.
Growing up in SoCal we had excellent Asian cuisine of every variety.

A lot of Japanese cooking is relatively easy, really just a matter of ingredients and learning some basics, don't even need specialized cookware.

I'm inspired by many examples I see here, makes me happy if I can pay it forward even just a little.

Great looking food Chili! I may have to copy some of that if you don't mind. Weird thing, we have a very strong Thai restaurant presence here in Murfreesboro, and a few great Asian markets. Knock me down with a feather!

Thanks 5G.
Mind? Copy? Full speed ahead with the cultural appropriation.

It can be amazing when somebody immigrates, bring their skills in their cultural cuisine and opens a killer eatery.
And I love it all, not just Asian.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky