CPB ,Few Recent Cooks! Serious Q View 2!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
My good friend Robert, aka tx smoker tx smoker , recently sent me cornucopia of beef treats from Certified Piedmontese Beef. Was supposed to be just a sirloin roast but I got quite the surprise upon opening the cooler box! 8lb sirloin roast, rack of beef ribs, 2lb cowboy cut ribeye, 2lb T-bone steaks, and two different varieties of his thick-cut homemade bacon. To say I was blown out by his generosity would be a massive understatement!
DSCN3076.JPG

The first thing I wanted to try was the beef ribs, about my favorite meat on the planet. Set up the Weber for a snake with some hickory chunks
DSCN3078.JPG

and on it goes!
DSCN3079.JPG

After six hours around 235º, pulled at 201º
DSCN3082.JPG

Plated up and ready to dine. T'was absolutely delicious!

DSCN3083.JPG

Next on the agenda was tackling that massive T-bone, was huge!
DSCN3127.JPG

Set the Vortex wide-side-up and threw on a chunk of hickory for a little smoke, I love smoke flavor!
DSCN3128.JPG

After it got up to 112º I ran out to give it a sear direct over the Vortex, 45 seconds a side
DSCN3129.JPG

Ten minute rest while I finished the sides
DSCN3130.JPG
DSCN3131.JPG

Plated up with some mashed taters and gravy, shrooms sautéed in wine and butter, creamed spinach, fillet mignon side

DSCN3132.JPG

Simply put, it was about the best steak I've eaten in my almost 70 years, it just doesn't get and better that this. After a sous vide dinner the next night with the NY side I waited a couple of days, cooked up a 14oz sirloin steak, same method as the T-bone.
DSCN3101.JPG

The true beef flavor really comes thru, the texture was surprisingly tender!
DSCN3102.JPG

I'd cut the sirloin into a nice 3lb roast, couple of 14oz steaks, and some 3/4 pound bags for cheesesteaks. I love cheesesteaks off the BS flattop, it's what they're made for
DSCN3103.JPG

DSCN3104.JPG

DSCN3106.JPG

DSCN3108.JPG

DSCN3110.JPG

With sincere thanks to my good friend Robert I'm calling this one a wrap, thanks for lookin' in! RAY

Awesome cooks Ray! Robert is definitely a class act and very generous! Hope Bob got a little treat!

Ryan

Reactions: sawhorseray
Ray that all looks fantastic!! Like you beef ribs are one of my favorites. Those CPB extra meaty back ribs are really good. I have a couple racks left in the freezer. I need to get on them.

Everything looks amazing ray! That's a porterhouse not a t-bone lol. I got 3 racks of beef ribs from Robert in my deep freeze I need to cook soon. Àlso some steaks. Like you I have been on the recieving end of Roberts generosity and it's greatly appreciated! Thanks for sharing bud

Dang! I need to get on tx smoker tx smoker ‘s mailing list! Man that is some good looking cook. Nicely done. Jim

Thanks Jim! It's not a mailing list, just a group of folks that share a common enthusiasm for some great backyard smokin'. Robert is not only a generous fellow, he's quite intelligent and witty, fun guy to be friends with! RAY

Superb meat, excellent cook. We have greatness. Very nice. Now about that mailing list…….

Thank Edge! Read ^^^^, it's no BS. RAY

Awesome cooks Ray! Robert is definitely a class act and very generous! Hope Bob got a little treat! Ryan

Thanks Ryan, come on, you know me better than that, Bob never gets stiffed!
DSCN3134.JPG

That all looks amazing and what a friend to send you a surprise like that. i have a question about the snake method. I tried that once with a couple racks of BB and kind of to me felt like it had a bit of taste of the briquettes. I was using Kingsford and I had oak chunks on there. Is that normal? I was under the impression you should have the briquettes somewhat white and well thats not happening that way. I’m still ignorant when it comes to the kettle. Thanks.

Ray that all looks fantastic!! Like you beef ribs are one of my favorites. Those CPB extra meaty back ribs are really good. I have a couple racks left in the freezer. I need to get on them.

Thanks Feffro! I've got a couple of beef rib dinners left to go, a 2 and a 3 rib, plan to make the most of it and do it all for myself, nobody I like enough to share with. Cook em' on that Lang, I'm headed in a new direction real soon, offset doesn't get enough use here in the heat. 113º tomorrow and the next day, it's brutal out in the sun. RAY

Looks phenomenal Sawhorse hopefully you didn’t forget the bacon lol!

No way Peach, I had to finish up what was left of a pack of my own maple honey stuff. Robert's is on the docket. He slices his just as I do mine, about 8 slices to a pound. I'm going to go with a BELT right off the bat, a bacon, egg, lettuce, and mater sanny. I'm betting it stands up just fine, probably better than the stuff I've been making for 20 years +!

Reactions: jcam222
Nice set up. Been looking for a camper and boat to fish with grandkids

Everything looks amazing ray! That's a porterhouse not a t-bone lol. I got 3 racks of beef ribs from Robert in my deep freeze I need to cook soon. Àlso some steaks. Like you I have been on the receiving end of Roberts generosity and it's greatly appreciated! Thanks for sharing bud

First thing I thought of too Jake, that ain't no T-bone, but that's how it was marked on the label. just incredible quality meat. I'm thinking if I can turn this holiday seasons rib roast's into burgers I might be able to skate with a CPB sub-primal or two.! RAY

Some good eatin right there.

Thanks Adam! At my age I could get used to spoiling myself pretty darned fast, might take a bit of convincing with my better half tho. RAY

Ray, everything looks incredible! I can't pick out a favorite, they're all equally excellent! That's a very generous gift from Robert. He's one heck of a great person. Thanks for sharing, stay safe my friend.

That all looks amazing and what a friend to send you a surprise like that. i have a question about the snake method. I tried that once with a couple racks of BB and kind of to me felt like it had a bit of taste of the briquettes. I was using Kingsford and I had oak chunks on there. Is that normal? I was under the impression you should have the briquettes somewhat white and well thats not happening that way. I’m still ignorant when it comes to the kettle. Thanks.

I'm not sure what to say Dirty Steve, reckon you don't mind me calling you dirty. I been using Kingsford for damm near 50 years and maybe I've just grown accustomed to the taste and flavor it imparts. I do run a offset smoker that I use no coals in, start splits with a weed torch. I believe the hickory wood chunks are what gives the smoke flavor in the snake method, not as pronounced as my offset, but better than a pellet pooper IMHO. I like to stack the beginning of the snake strong with wood, most of your smoke flavor is going to come in the first couple of hours, get some chunks fired up from the get-go. You are not ignorant, you're just learning. RAY

Nice set up. Been looking for a camper and boat to fish with grandkids

Thanks FB! It's a great way to go, gives you all the amenities of a trailer while still being able to tow a boat to some fairly remote venues. AC, oven, micro, stove, TV & DVD, heater, and a real comfortable bed off the ground where critters can't get at you, it's your castle away from home. Course everybody knows you catch more fish when you're in a boat. The pandemic has caused the price of cabovers to skyrocket, and with everyone wanting to get out and about now, everywhere' s crowded. I seriously doubt life will ever go back to the way it was before. RAY

Time has a way of changing and in some respects not always for the best.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky