Covid 19 smell/taste loss question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Got Covid before Christmas.
I lost both taste and smell completely for a couple days. The senses have been returning randomly.
At first, I could only taste salt and sweet. A piece of toast made me gag from the salted butter. I thought my love affair with cured meats was gone!
I was going through a sack of Golden Oreos every 4 days and a box of Dots Candy every 2 days. I am not a sweet eater in normal times.
Salt aversion was gone in a week, but almost 3 weeks for the sweet overload to reduce.
Luckily, I never lost my taste for beer.

This probably doesn't have any connection, but as for length of times:
I lost my sense of taste after Open-heart surgery in December of 2012.
I got most of it back 8 months later, but I still don't enjoy any Beer or Coffee, of which I used to drink a lot of, especially the Beer.

So far I haven't had Covid---Knock on Wood!

Bear
Don't mean to get off topic but in response to Bear...certain surgeries do that to ya. In 2009 I had diverticulitus and it ruptured, drank Black Velvet cokes back then, after 2 weeks in hospital I couldn't stand the taste of whiskey or pop...this started November 6th. In January of 2010 had another surgery, only a week in hospital but could now stand the taste of whiskey and pop. It was wierd for sure!

Ryan

I had Covid in early October and lost my sense of taste and smell for about a month. My taste came back first slowly and I still think my sense of smell isn’t fully back yet. It’s weird because it comes and goes.

I was only able to taste anything salty or something vinegar/pickled. Since you have no desire to really eat I just ate vegetable soup with hot sauce, chicken breast and antipasto. I figured with the salami and cheese in the salad I was getting some nutritional benefit. I mostly was able to taste the dressing so between that and the crunch of the salad, it made it at least enjoyable for me.

my son caught omicron from our pastor's daughter and promptly passed it on to both me and mama. He had symptoms for about 2 days. Wife and I had a rough couple of days, only remnant is a lingering cough (mostly productive).

None of us lost smell / taste. It was just a nasty cold.

Had it in August 2020 was so sick I couldn’t tell you if I tasted or smelled anything for 2-3 weeks , praying for everyone

The sense of smell is something very unusual and obviously quite contolled by your brain. Not related to covid - when I was 15 (not going into details) witnessed a bunch of bloody burnt bodies and the smell was just plain horrible. For about six months I could smell that burnt odor in my hands no matter how much I washed them. Could not eat meat for a year when finally that horror subsized.

Losing your sense of smell/taste due to illness is absolutely nothing new it happens with hundreds of different viruses/infections including rhino virus(aka the common cold).

When I contracted a very rare form of bacterial meningitis I lost all my senses for a very short time...107 fever will do that.And yes all my senses are back but other things are permanent.

The damage to my body will last a life time.I'm 53 and this happened when I was 14 and I've had 39 years to accept this so it simply no longer bothers me.

Last edited:
I can still smell, mostly putrid crap I wouldn't want to smell anyhow is what my sense of smell is deadened to. And farming pretty much makes you immune to manure smell. You can still smell it, but the smell just doesn't bother you.

Hope you get it back having changed taste is sucky. I had cancer twice and chemo messed up my taste and smell for good. Things I used to like I hate and vice versa. Not cool but what can you do but trial and error

I lost no taste or smell with my asymptomatic Covid. I would never have known i even had covid except for the pre-op screening required a test and BOOM out of nowhere it was positive.

I didn’t realize it at first but noticed I was only eating about half what I normally did, then realized I couldn’t taste the food.
The worse part was going from 4-5 hours of sleep a night to 9+ with a 3 hour nap during the day.
All better now and eating like a pig!

I got covid last week. I lost all smell/taste about 3 days after testing positive. I’ve had light symptoms except for the exhaustion. I could still taste the basics like salt, sweet, sour, bitter. It’s just starting to come back and lasted about 4 days. It was odd. I knew when I could taste cucumbers I was on the mend.

First of all, I'm not asking this in hopes of any sympathy or to have this tread be about vaccinations or anything like that, this is just for information purposes and I have a question. Happily, I just recovered from Covid and I had lost my sense of smell and taste, I had other symptoms also but for sake of this thread I will limit this to smell/taste. It started last Tuesday while i was eating a sandwich at work, I ate half the sammy that i could taste and by the time I got to the other half my taste/smell was completely gone, almost like someone flipped a switch and my senses were gone, fast forward to Saturday evening when I got them back, (approx 4 1/2 days) it was the same type of thing, they just appeared like a switch being turned back on.

If your willing to share your experiences regarding taste and smell with regard to Covid. I am curious about what happened ? I have asked a few people I know who had this symptom and most people say it went away slowly and came back slowly, some lost it completely, while others partially. My experience seemed very strange the way it disappeared and returned so abruptly, has anybody else had this?

As I said this is by no means meant to trivialize this virus or diminish its seriousness and I have nothing but sympathy for folks who have had it more severe than myself or payed the ultimate price. I am strictly wanting to keep this an an informative thread as I'm always interested in learning ,and if you are willing to share any insights I appreciate that, if this thread goes no where I'm ok with that also.

Thank You
Corey
This is an old three but I am stressed! Just want to complain! I have Covid or had it’s been over a week. This is the third time I have had it!!! 😳
Every time I have Covid I lose my taste and smell. It blows!
First time a month and a half, the second 2 weeks. Now I am at day 6 with no taste or smell.
No other family members have experienced loss of tast or smell while having Covid or after. Why me!!!!!!!
Thank you for reading. This shall pass. Just need to complain and share my Covid experiences. I’m a blood type A if that has anything to do with it. 😜

This is an old three but I am stressed! Just want to complain! I have Covid or had it’s been over a week. This is the third time I have had it!!! 😳
Every time I have Covid I lose my taste and smell. It blows!
First time a month and a half, the second 2 weeks. Now I am at day 6 with no taste or smell.
No other family members have experienced loss of tast or smell while having Covid or after. Why me!!!!!!!
Thank you for reading. This shall pass. Just need to complain and share my Covid experiences. I’m a blood type A if that has anything to do with it. 😜
You’ll be fine. First time I had the Rona I lost my taste and smell for about 8 months. It came back just of a sudden and all was fine for about a month and a half 6-8 weeks then I think I got the Delta variant only because I lost taste and smell again but that time was only 2 weeks and then all was good. Strange how that crude effected people differently. I never took any vaccine.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky