cooking anything unusuall for Thanksgiving?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kingbrutis

Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
I really dont want to cook a traditional dinner for Thanksgiving. We are having a thing at work with turkeys and hams, ect the day before. We are going to have family over to watch the non competitive football games, as the lions and raiders are playing. So do you cook anything non traditional? It might be a tradition for your family but is not turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing ect.... My x's family used to cook prime rib. Idea's? Suggestions?

I will be cooking 10lbs. of rib tips,about 20 or so walleye filets from a past Minnesota fishing trip,5lbs. of polish sausage with garlic,a case of chicken wings and a few ducks that I have shot in the last couple of weeks.This party will also include plenty of Budweiser,football,and shots of Crown Royal.Not exactly your traditional Thanksgiving meal but it is alot of fun smoking whatever you got left in the freezer with the crew. Party time!!! Go Irish beat Pitt!!

This year is going to be pretty close to traditional with a ham I'm making from a picnic. We decided to pick the rest of the recipes from a large envelope that holds all of the recipes we have used over our past 26 Thanksgivings. For the past 10 years or so we have been doing themed meals. We have done the 1st Thanksgiving (really cool), seafood, Indian (face paint, not dot), cowboy, etc...

That sounds like a good idea. Problem I have is my inlaws are so bland, I'm afraid to smoke something like a tradekin (sp?). If it's not out of a box it's not real foor to them.

I'm trying to convince the in-laws on a bushel of oysters for grilling, raw and whatever else we feel like doing with them.

One thing I only make for turkey day is shredded brussel sprouts wilted with bacon grease and toasted pine nuts w/ dried cranberries and the bacon....it never lasts.

Other than that, we have done most of the traditionals but every other year when we don't get together, my folks just do hotdogs.

Hotdogs, beer, ABT's and some good ole football - couldn't be much more simple.

I'm thinking I may get some soft shell crabs. Does bacon make brussel sprouts edible? Wow, bacon has more uses that ketsup.

If you think about the real plygriums they were near the ocean and they also hed fish and shell fish too. The indians brought the turkeys I think so is fish and other meats strange. I always trie to cook/smoke/grill something alittle differant after all alot of the times it's just me and the wife.

Bacon makes everything edible
icon_cool.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky