Cook time, grill temp for4.5lb spatchcock chicken needed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BC Buck

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 16, 2018
MO
Lost my notes for how to do spatchcock chicken on pellet grill. Think last time smoked 180 temp for hour then kicked up to 350 for set time to finish. I know it had good flavor but skin was tuff. Thanks.

I’m new to the pellet world, reason I’m on here reading. But I did the spatchcock last weekend for the first time as an alternative to beer can(which I’ve read isn’t the way to go now a days) and mine took 1 hour on smoke and then 3 more at 275 on pit boss. Was really good for first try

Chicken should be cooked hot, like 350/400.
Should take an hour or less so check internal temps starting at 30 minutes and then at 45 and if still not done check every 5 minutes until done.

I agree with cooking it at 350F plus and if you have a remote temp probe it'll help keep you from opening and checking temps. If you have two probes put on in the thigh and one in the breast. If you only have one put into the thigh and shoot for 165F

Chicken should be cooked hot, like 350/400.
Should take an hour or less so check internal temps starting at 30 minutes and then at 45 and if still not done check every 5 minutes until done.
Cooking that high help to keep from getting tuff skin?

If anything it will make it nice and crispy.
Oh how I miss chicken skin, my mistake was going to the doctor who did some tests and determined my blood was largely composed of fat from the BBQ I cooked.

• Sad
Reactions: TunaciousBBQ28
Cooking that high help to keep from getting tuff skin?
Yes, rubbery skin is a product of low and slow. I have smoked spatchcock chicken and fired up a charcoal grill, nice and toasty and put the bird on skin side down to crisp it. like a reverse sear method. It does not take long to crisp it up. Watch out for a flame up

If anything it will make it nice and crispy.
Oh how I miss chicken skin, my mistake was going to the doctor who did some tests and determined my blood was largely composed of fat from the BBQ I cooked.
Dad went to same doctor. Im so tempted to trade him some white meat for his skin.

Yes, rubbery skin is a product of low and slow. I have smoked spatchcock chicken and fired up a charcoal grill, nice and toasty and put the bird on skin side down to crisp it. like a reverse sear method. It does not take long to crisp it up. Watch out for a flame up
Game plan, 180 deg for one hour for some smoke then 400 and start checking IT at at 90 min.

For all chicken in my pellet grill I cook hot and fast. 350-400. If I want smoke I throw a smoke tube in there at the beginning.

Ended up taking longer than expected. Breast was right at freezing and rest of chicken about 38.Smoked 180 for hour then kicked up to 425 for one hour. Breast was still 140 so kicked up again to 450 for additional 15 min. Was good and juicy but skin got real dark and split on legs.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky