Contest cook. Need advice!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gocatsbbn

Original poster
Feb 3, 2016
I’ll be competing in my first bbq contest in about a month. Not a real big deal, just 10 teams. Mostly for fun. We’ll be cooking a pork chop, 5 bone baby back ribs and a chicken half. Any suggestions or tips on how to do these three meats for a contest would be great. Thanks!

Depending on how thick the Chop is will determine if I'd try to smoke it or just grill it. Or if it's under an inch and time allows, perhaps cold smoke and then grill.
And don't overcook, pull it at 138° and it'll make 145°.
Ya want JUICY pork.

You can smoke the chicken very Hot-n-Fast for a decent skin, but I'd be wanting to finish it on a grill for the best skin.

If time allows, I'd dry brine both the Chop and Chicken.
If time is short I'd probably inject brine in both.

For the Baby Backs, classic competition all the way.
Dry rub and 3 hours smoke, wrap with squeeze butter and honey or agave for 2 hours and then unwrap and finish 1 hour with BBQ glaze.
I'd be aiming for the perfect Light Tug/Clean Bone, that perfect bone wiggle that says "I'm ready!"

Reactions: The Butt Man
Most importantly make sure you have plenty of cold beer on hand...don't want to get dehydrated. Health is the #1 priority.

For the pork chop I would do a low smoke maybe with mesquite wood since its not going to take long and then a reverse sear.

Chile has you covered on the chicken and ribs. Competition style injection on the chicken at a higher temp to get crispy bite through skin. Ribs go 3-2-1 to a temp of about 195ish between the bones

Good luck and post some pics!

Depending on how thick the Chop is will determine if I'd try to smoke it or just grill it. Or if it's under an inch and time allows, perhaps cold smoke and then grill.
And don't overcook, pull it at 138° and it'll make 145°.
Ya want JUICY pork.

You can smoke the chicken very Hot-n-Fast for a decent skin, but I'd be wanting to finish it on a grill for the best skin.

If time allows, I'd dry brine both the Chop and Chicken.
If time is short I'd probably inject brine in both.

For the Baby Backs, classic competition all the way.
Dry rub and 3 hours smoke, wrap with squeeze butter and honey or agave for 2 hours and then unwrap and finish 1 hour with BBQ glaze.
I'd be aiming for the perfect Light Tug/Clean Bone, that perfect bone wiggle that says "I'm ready!"

My first practice run was a basic smoke of each meat. I’m thinking I’ll do what you’re talking about this wknd. I’m using a 2” porkchop. Cooks just like a pork loin. Thanks for the advice!

Most importantly make sure you have plenty of cold beer on hand...don't want to get dehydrated. Health is the #1 priority.

For the pork chop I would do a low smoke maybe with mesquite wood since its not going to take long and then a reverse sear.

Chile has you covered on the chicken and ribs. Competition style injection on the chicken at a higher temp to get crispy bite through skin. Ribs go 3-2-1 to a temp of about 195ish between the bones

Good luck and post some pics!

Dehydration is a serious issue this time of year so we’ll have plenty of beer and margaritas on hand. Thanks for the advice!

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky