Competition pork ribs.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

forktender

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 10, 2008
NORCAL
Which rub and sauce should I use?
This is just a small local bar competition, but one of the three judges works at The French Laundry in Napa, CA. I'm not sure about the other two judges yet.

Two racks of any type of pork ribs, I'll be using Berkshire Saint Louis ribs from SRF's.
Each entry has to turn in two full racks, I'm not sure if they need to sliced or whole yet.
I'm just looking for a few rub and sauce idea's.
Thank you.
Dan.

Reactions: JLeonard
Thanks for all the help, you guys are amazing!!!
FML!!!!!🤬

Thanks for all the help, you guys are amazing!!!
FML!!!!!🤬
I saw this while driving yesterday then looked for it last night while watching BBQ Showdown on Netflix.

I layer rubs for added flavor/color.
Anything with MSG (or add Accent)
like Heath Riles Sweet honey /Kosmos Q Honey Chipotle with a little heavier layer of the KQHC on the bone side for a little sweet heat when it touches the tongue 👅.

I use a variation of Blues Hog Comp sauce in KCBS or GCB cooks but stay with local flavors when local celebs are.the judges. Usually a vinegar base for us in SE.Ga .

Hope this helps Dan !

Keith

Good call on using SRF ribs, they have great flavor and marbling. One thing you might consider is slightly overcooking the ribs. For smaller 'bragging rights' competitions, it's better to be slightly more tender than KCBS ribs (which should have a small 'tug' to them). Just don't make them so tender the meat falls off the bone.

My advice probably won't win you any trophies in a competition except maybe a participation trophy. Around here my wife likes KC Masterpiece Original BBQ sauce. As for rubs I usually go with Stubbs pork rub. I agree with Thirdeye. Bring the ribs to just before they reach the FOTB state.

Chris

I like Cimarron Docs I've done very well in comps with a sweet profile. My go to sauce for comps is Countryside its a regional sauce. Sweeter than I personally like but it does well in comps. Guy Fieri has a bourbon brown sugar sauce that is good.
1687486015824.png
1687486256049.png
1687486394593.png

Which rub and sauce should I use?
This is just a small local bar competition, but one of the three judges works at The French Laundry in Napa, CA. I'm not sure about the other two judges yet.

Two racks of any type of pork ribs, I'll be using Berkshire Saint Louis ribs from SRF's.
Each entry has to turn in two full racks, I'm not sure if they need to sliced or whole yet.
I'm just looking for a few rub and sauce idea's.
Thank you.
Dan.
Damn what bar do you hang out at. The French Laundry is spendy. good call on SRF. I look forward to the end. When is the contest.

• Haha
Reactions: forktender
I like Cimarron Docs I've done very well in comps with a sweet profile
👍 on Cimarron Doc's. It's been a favorite on the competition trail for years. It does lean sweet, in fact sugar is ahead of salt on the list of ingredients. If you grill salmon, try a light coat on it. It's also really good on winter squash, and as a seasoning for baked beans.

I'm sure I will have more questions for you when I think about it.
VMqQoTf.jpg

Dan, if you are not familiar with breaking the muscle sheath on the bone ends to get more even pull back, this video has a good demonstration at about 18 minutes. This is a very gentle squeeze because some will already be loose. Be careful to not tear any meat.

Damn what bar do you hang out at. The French Laundry is spendy. good call on SRF. I look forward to the end. When is the contest.
It's a local dive bar, pool hall in Martinez, CA called Que & Brew.
I didn't take any pictures, I was smoked. I was up at 3:00 AM prepping things.
My cook was very trying to say the least, My stoker unit died, I was chasing temp swings the whole 5 hour cook. I ended up buying ribs at the restaurant supply store instead of S.R. Farms. I completely winged it, stepping way out of the box from my normal rib cooks in the past.
Friday, the day before the contest, I was at the Mexican store picking up a few things that I needed. As I walked by their meat counter, I saw them putting out quarts of fresh lard, and a light bulb went off in my head. I thought heck I use tallow on my briskets, why not try lard as a binder on my ribs. A few hours before the cook, I slathered my ribs with the lard and Blue Hogs pork rub then wrapped them in plastic wrap until I was ready to toss them on the smoker.
I chased temps the whole cook, my saving grace was a small handheld computer keyboard duster, which I taped to the air inlet on my smoker. With the fan running, I was able to get my temps up to 250*, I went through 12 AA batteries. LOL!!!
When my ribs reached 155* internal temp I pulled them off and wrapped them in pink butcher paper. I slathered the paper with more lard, Kosmos peach Jap pepper glaze, some more Blue Hog rub a touch of Accent and sprayed the ribs with 30/50 mix of peach/ apple juice, then back to the smoker until they reached an I.T. of 190*. At 190* I took them out of the pink paper and glazed them with some Blue Hog original BBQ sauce that I added some Ancho chili power to add a little heat. Then, I thinned down the sauce with a little Shiner Bock beer. Before the turn in, I was completely pissed about my smoke, everything that could go wrong in a smoke went wrong. My ribs had hardly any pull back, but they felt tender, and had great color. Turn in was an undressed foil pan, and you had to turn in two full racks, I cooked three, to send one home with my Mother, so I never even tasted my ribs before the turn in thinking that I completely screwed the pooch. To my surprise, shock really my name was called out as the winner out of 11 teams. I scored a 69 out of 75 total points, all three judges said my ribs were some ribs they ever ate. The lady Judge that worked at the French Laundry came over to sit down with me to ask about my recipe and smoking method, she said my ribs were the best she has ever tasted, and that the looks, taste and texture were 100% spot on.
I was dumbfounded, to say the least, and I still hadn't tasted my ribs, then the bar owner asked me what I thought about the taste and texture. I told her that I figure I wasn't going to make the call, so I never tasted them. She walks away and comes back carrying a foil pan with my number on it and say here, eat these. There were only three ribs missing out of two racks I turned in, I gave one to my Nephew, little Brother, Father and I ate one and handed the rest out to spectators. I have to say, the ribs were as close to perfect as I have ever tasted or made. The pull was perfect, and they were a cross between sweet, savory with a touch of heat at the end. I couldn't believe it with all the troubles that I had with my temp control.
I used B&B competition char logs, they burned super clean and lasted the whole smoke with only burning through 1/2 of my coal basket, I used two plum sized chunks of hickory, and two chunks of cherry wood.

This was my first solo contest, and man it was a sh!t ton of work for one old broke down guy. All and all I had fun, and I'm looking forward to my next contest.

I think the larded wrapping really helped hold in the moisture, and added a little flavor to my ribs. I'm buying a new stoker unit with my earnings, unless BBQ Guru wants to send me a new one to support me in my contests.

I'll post a picture of the trophy, since I didn't have time to take any pictures of my ribs. I know, I know I need to snap some pictures next time.
I'm smoking up a few racks for my family this week.

Thanks for taking the time to read this long a$$, rambling post.

Dan.

Attachments

• IMG_20230709_041139.jpg
    IMG_20230709_041139.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 33
  • 20230709_040643.jpg
    20230709_040643.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 30
  • 20230709_040422.jpg
    20230709_040422.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 20230705_183703.jpg
    20230705_183703.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 20230705_183302.jpg
    20230705_183302.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 32
View attachment 668683
Dan, if you are not familiar with breaking the muscle sheath on the bone ends to get more even pull back, this video has a good demonstration at about 18 minutes. This is a very gentle squeeze because some will already be loose. Be careful to not tear any meat.

My ribs had hardly any pull back yesterday, I guess they worked, though.
I will watch the video for the next one for sure.
Thank you guys very much.
Dan

Congrats on your victory Dan!

Dave
Thanks, Dave.
I'm completely smoked, my back is fried, and my shoulder feels and sounds like my old hand crank meat grinder.

I forgot to add, that the night before the contest, my garage refer died.
Thank god I found it while everything was still in the 30*s .
I plugged in our 100 yr old Refer that has been sitting unplugged for over a yr. It will never be unplugged again, that thing just flat out works.

Congrats Dan on the victory and overcoming adversity!
We use some the same products and love the B&B Char Logs!
Sounds like you have good notes and can hopefully duplicate the results again!

Keith

It's a local dive bar, pool hall in Martinez, CA called Que & Brew.
I didn't take any pictures, I was smoked. I was up at 3:00 AM prepping things.
My cook was very trying to say the least, My stoker unit died, I was chasing temp swings the whole 5 hour cook. I ended up buying ribs at the restaurant supply store instead of S.R. Farms. I completely winged it, stepping way out of the box from my normal rib cooks in the past.
Friday, the day before the contest, I was at the Mexican store picking up a few things that I needed. As I walked by their meat counter, I saw them putting out quarts of fresh lard, and a light bulb went off in my head. I thought heck I use tallow on my briskets, why not try lard as a binder on my ribs. A few hours before the cook, I slathered my ribs with the lard and Blue Hogs pork rub then wrapped them in plastic wrap until I was ready to toss them on the smoker.
I chased temps the whole cook, my saving grace was a small handheld computer keyboard duster, which I taped to the air inlet on my smoker. With the fan running, I was able to get my temps up to 250*, I went through 12 AA batteries. LOL!!!
When my ribs reached 155* internal temp I pulled them off and wrapped them in pink butcher paper. I slathered the paper with more lard, Kosmos peach Jap pepper glaze, some more Blue Hog rub a touch of Accent and sprayed the ribs with 30/50 mix of peach/ apple juice, then back to the smoker until they reached an I.T. of 190*. At 190* I took them out of the pink paper and glazed them with some Blue Hog original BBQ sauce that I added some Ancho chili power to add a little heat. Then, I thinned down the sauce with a little Shiner Bock beer. Before the turn in, I was completely pissed about my smoke, everything that could go wrong in a smoke went wrong. My ribs had hardly any pull back, but they felt tender, and had great color. Turn in was an undressed foil pan, and you had to turn in two full racks, I cooked three, to send one home with my Mother, so I never even tasted my ribs before the turn in thinking that I completely screwed the pooch. To my surprise, shock really my name was called out as the winner out of 11 teams. I scored a 69 out of 75 total points, all three judges said my ribs were some ribs they ever ate. The lady Judge that worked at the French Laundry came over to sit down with me to ask about my recipe and smoking method, she said my ribs were the best she has ever tasted, and that the looks, taste and texture were 100% spot on.
I was dumbfounded, to say the least, and I still hadn't tasted my ribs, then the bar owner asked me what I thought about the taste and texture. I told her that I figure I wasn't going to make the call, so I never tasted them. She walks away and comes back carrying a foil pan with my number on it and say here, eat these. There were only three ribs missing out of two racks I turned in, I gave one to my Nephew, little Brother, Father and I ate one and handed the rest out to spectators. I have to say, the ribs were as close to perfect as I have ever tasted or made. The pull was perfect, and they were a cross between sweet, savory with a touch of heat at the end. I couldn't believe it with all the troubles that I had with my temp control.
I used B&B competition char logs, they burned super clean and lasted the whole smoke with only burning through 1/2 of my coal basket, I used two plum sized chunks of hickory, and two chunks of cherry wood.

This was my first solo contest, and man it was a sh!t ton of work for one old broke down guy. All and all I had fun, and I'm looking forward to my next contest.

I think the larded wrapping really helped hold in the moisture, and added a little flavor to my ribs. I'm buying a new stoker unit with my earnings, unless BBQ Guru wants to send me a new one to support me in my contests.

I'll post a picture of the trophy, since I didn't have time to take any pictures of my ribs. I know, I know I need to snap some pictures next time.
I'm smoking up a few racks for my family this week.

Thanks for taking the time to read this long a$$, rambling post.

Dan.
that is awesome. Great write up even if no rib pics lol. Congratulations on the big W.

Now that's funny.... no body can ever say you weren't prepared!
I slathered my ribs with the lard and Blue Hogs pork rub then wrapped them in plastic wrap until I was ready to toss them on the smoker.
Warmed lard can also be used for basting (pork and chicken) and was popular with beef long before tallow became the flavor-of-the-month with brisket.

Congrats on the win! Prairie Fresh products are very good, so that was a good alternative. I was cooking a rack of ribs the other day, and during the prep I recalled your rib competition, but a search didn't turn up any new posts, I'm glad you followed up. One thing I totally forgot to mention was injecting. Rib meat takes injection very well, and the result is amazing. If you have a Cowboy K-Mart (a farm and ranch store) see if they have a 60ml (2 ounce) syringe and 14 gauge needles that are around 1" long. They should twist on and are re-usable (the thread design is called a luer lock). Just come in at a low angle, 30°, and watch for the meat to swell slightly. This set-up works good for chicken pieces and other smaller items.
QlDwnY4.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky