Cold temps to cold for pellet smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sportsbeerfood

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 13, 2016
Southern Illinois
Passed couple times Ive tried to use my pellet grill it doesnt have the loud jet engine like sound coming from the firebox. Almost no sound at all. Temps claim to be there but can very well tell that something isnt right. My question is what temps are just to cold to be using my pellet grill? Its been in the teens and single digits were Im at. Any help feel free. Thanks.
CHAR-GRILLER 9020 PELLET GRILL

Couple of thoughts come to mind. First there are obvious temperature limitations and expectations when it's below zero outside, that's just common sense. They do make insulating blankets for various types of grills, you might want to look into purchasing one.

Second, if you're not hearing the fan run (which is what I assume the jet engine sound is you describe) you might want to check and see if it's functioning. Without a fan you will have issues with burn control and may experience flame outs.

Good luck and remember, spring is not too far away (wishful thinking).

It was negative 9 on Wednesday morning when I turned on my RecTec to smoke a brisket. The fan did seem to take a little longer to get going but other than that it didn’t have an issue maintaining 225. But it did use a lot of pellets.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky