Cold smoked mackerel

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pushok2018

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Oct 12, 2017
San Francisco East Bay area, CA
Smoked some mackerel while was on vacation (stay-cation) last week.
For 1 gallon of water I used 440 g of salt and 34 g of cure 1. Brined mackerel for 72 hours in the fridge. Left outside in the cage to dry overnight. Smoked for 18 hours (9 hr + overnight in fridge + 9 hr next day). Taste much better then $7 per pound in the store!

Attachments

• Macarel3.jpg
    Macarel3.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 90
  • Macarel.jpg
    Macarel.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 91
  • Macarel1.jpg
    Macarel1.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 91
  • Macarel5.jpg
    Macarel5.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 97
  • Macarel4.jpg
    Macarel4.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 93
Holy Mackerel that looks good. Nice Job

Point for sure.
Chris

Looks really good... I'd eat it.....
Have you ever pickled Mackerel ??? Like pickled herring and salmon ??? I think it would be good also....

Thank you, Dave! Approximately one year ago I found a recipe on this forum for pickled fish. I don't remember what kind of fish it was, neither exact recipe. I remember it was white fish mentioned in that recipe. I decided to try it and used rock cod fish. I am sure I followed the recipe from A to Z but the end result was a disappointment: fish and onion were way too sour....
Do you have a good recipe for pickled fish? I don't mind to give it another try... :emoji_wink:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky