Cleaning plastic cutting boards

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cmayna

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 23, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA
Our plastic cutting boards are getting pretty stained and need cleaning. What do you guys suggest? I googled it and found a bunch of suggestions but before I jump into it, thought I'd get your ideas first.

I just use cheap plastic cutting boards and I notice after I cut chicken, and rinse there is still residual on them so I always spray with bleach, let them sit and hand wash after that

Reactions: JLeonard
Like others straight bleach if it's stained if that doesn't work then like Timber said orbital sander

Reactions: Timber II
Funny to see this. Ours "were white". I just asked my wife a few days ago to get replacements next time she goes to Home goods or TJ Max. Yesterday she brought home a new set that match our countertop.

I use this for everything in the kitchen . Mostly for sausage making , but I spray it on cutting boards , Faucet and fridge handles as well as door knobs going in and out of the kitchen . Food safe / no rinse .
20200420_123039.jpg
I don't sand the boards much , but when I do I run them through the drum sander .
20210502_162325.jpg

The plastic ones I'll spray down good with a bleach solution and let it sit for a while. Rinse then into the dishwasher on the sanitize setting.

Jim

Reactions: 912smoker
Thanks all for the replies. Think I'll first do some bleach and see what happens. They are pretty darn cheap on Amazon.

Dollar Store Oxy clean and HOT water soak should lift all but the worst of stains. It's my go to for just about anything.

Reactions: indaswamp
This is how we cleaned our cutting boards in restaurants.

Lay paper towels on the surface, spray the entire covered surface with bleach water solution. Let sit for 10 mins. Take ti wash sink and rinse well.

Reactions: 912smoker and bill1
Our plastic cutting boards are getting pretty stained and need cleaning. What do you guys suggest? I googled it and found a bunch of suggestions but before I jump into it, thought I'd get your ideas first.
Like others have said, stained does not mean not clean. I have had luck with both bleach (straight) and barkeepers friend (make a paste and let it soak for a while). Might try the sanding tip as well.

- Jason

Reactions: zwiller
Comet….. it has bleach in it with a stainless steel
Srubbie and hot water … did it for every board at the restaurant I used to work at … the comet powder really gets in there and the stainless srubbie works awesome

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky